Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Is the hotel at the airport in San Juan ok or did I reserve a room in a flea bag hotel?Help !!!This girl is desperate.

Is the hotel at the airport in San Juan ok or did I reserve a room in a flea bag hotel?Help !!!This girl is desperate.

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 02:32 PM
Clarise

Sorry but I had to get someone's attention to help me here. My boyfriend and I are catching an early morning flight out of San Juan to Saint Martin. We booked a room at the hotel right at the airport. It is actually on the 3rd floor of one of the terminals. How bad can that be? We need a place for 1 night and it might cost us 40 dollars round trip by taxi or more from any other hotel. Anyone know of this hotel? I guess we can put up with it for one night. Their website has no pictures of the room and the description says that the rooms are basic. See why Im a worried broad?

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 02:40 PM
annie

Clarise, last Christamas we were in the same position you are. Landed in SJ very late and didn't want to drive that late to Ponce to get to our hotel. So, we decided to stay at the airport hotel for one night and then pick up our car. What a mistake! It is really a dump, sorry to tell you. The worst place I have ever stayed in. Basic isn't the word - depressing is. It is definitely not the way to start a vacation. I didn't want to get into the bed. The better hotels are not far away. I would opt for something else.

Good luck and have a wonderful time in St. Martin!

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 02:41 PM
Mary

Clarise,
I've stayed at the in-airport hotel in San Juan 3 times when I needed to catch a early early am flight out of SJU to St Maarten or St Kitts.
The rooms are "basic" as the website says, they are a place to catch a nights sleep and shower and not much more than that. However, the rooms are clean and quiet which is all we cared about.
The price is right and the convenience can't be beat. If all you need is a clean bed and bathroom you'll be fine. I'll stay there again without hesitation should the need arise.
Enjoy your trip!

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 02:45 PM
annie

Forgot to tell you that all the food places in the airport had shut down and the last pizza was delivered just before we checked in. It wasn't a good way to start our Christmas holiday. Good thing I saved some snacks from the flight and we still had our water bottles.

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 03:01 PM
Clarise

Thanks girls for the quick response. Wow what two conficting responses! Thanks though. I have a little time to think it over.

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 03:40 PM
Bill

I just finished going throught this. Go to www.travelandsports.com/siv.htm
www.travelandsports.com

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 03:44 PM
Bill

Sorry, I forgot! We're staying at Green Isle Inn just down the road. www.greenisleinn.com/index.htm

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 06:41 AM
Ronnie

Clarise, the nearest hotel I would recommend is the Hampton Inn in Isla Verde. The cab ride is $8.00. Don't know where you got your taxi figures from. Good luck.
Ronnie

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 07:59 AM
notsure

I don't want to scare you. My experience with the SJU in-airport hotel was back in 1984. We were bumped off the last flight out and had to spend the night. Inexpensive, polite service and clean-LOOKING room. However, the next day we all had bites all over our bodies from bugs in the bed that were too small to see. If you stay there, wear bug repellent (probably with DEET) to bed. For the love of God, do not sleep in the nude if you choose this place.

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 03:33 PM
Islander

Use it frequently for overnights and it is basic, clean. inexpensive and handy. None of the problems that others report. No food other than airport food so pack your own if it's a problem.

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 11:22 AM
sigh

What do you expect when you book a room without doing the proper research?

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 11:31 AM
Dr.Doolittle

Don't forget your flea collar and make sure all your shots are up to date

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 02:49 PM
KatW

My husband and I stayed at the SJ airport hotel for five hours after a long night flying from San Francisco and before catching our connection to Anguilla. It's pretty shabby, and I couldn't take a shower which is what I wanted to do (bath/shower looked eecky) so I had a washcloth "bath" out of the sink.

It was barely acceptable for five hours but I wouldn't want to overnight there.

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 03:05 PM
Roger

Clarise my wife and I had to stay there because of cancelled flight. 2 years ago. We were kind of shocked to say the least. Hotel? It reminded us of a jail. The rooms had bars on the windows! It had a smell that only a musty old YMCA came to mind. The carpet looked like it hadn't been replaced in 30 years. I can see why the website has no pictures! We did exactly like you thought, we put up with it and was so glad to get away the next morning I think we left at 5:00 am. Everthing negative that people have said is true. I can't imagine this place exists on such a beautiful island.

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 03:21 PM
Debbie

can't imagine that these people are talking about the airport hotel in San Juan. Not a Ritz or even a Hyatt but it was clean. Small and not much in the amenity department but for a convenient place to sleep it was no problem. Beats claiming luggage, taking a taxi and the time. It was redone just a couple of years ago and they certainly didn't invest in corian on the counter tops but it serves the purpose. Can't help but wonder if the same poster is posting over and over again with different horror tales. ae

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 03:29 PM
Roger

I'm sorry Debbie I only made one post, I was there, it was what I experienced and maybe the renovation happened after I was there. In any case it definitely needed it.

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 03:36 PM
MaKettle

The Mister and I stayed a night or two there. It was a palace. A fine place to stay!