Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Is the beach at Beaches Negril as nice as pictures?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are still in search of a resort to go that pleases the whole family. My requirement is wide, white beaches and crystal clear calm water. The web photos of Beaches Negril look fabulous, but I also know they can be photoshopped! I would love opinions on this and the resort . If nada, then maybe another resort? I wish I could take Iberostar Rose Hall and move it to Negril beach, but I have to find one comparable. The Montego Bay beach looked too narrow and the reviews about it has made me start looking elsewhere.
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 09:41 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Yes, it is.
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 11:04 AM

To answer your question, yes! The beach in front of BEACHES is absolutely gorgeous. It's wide, uncrowded, with very calm water. Montego Bay can't compare.
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 11:33 AM
KVR

One of my concerns about Beaches is the kid factor. From what I understand it will be three adults in your party. Beaches is full of little kids. Is that is an atmosphere you can handle?

Also, Beaches is part of the Sandals chain. IMHO over priced, under quality resorts. I would do some careful reading and research before booking.

Have you looked at Aruba? Great atmosphere for 3 adults. Eagle beach is one of the best beaches. There is RUI Palace AI and an Occidental AI on Palm Beach. I don't much care for the RUI chain, but the one in Aruba is one of their better resorts. If you can give up the Iberostar mentality look at the Divi and the Tamarijn on Eagle beach. Both are AI's, but not as lux as a Iberostar. They sit on a great section of beach. Snorkeling is not good in the resort areas, but take a beach hopping tour and/or a snorkel sail.
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 02:13 PM

Good point, KVR. I didn't focus on who was going. I totally agree. Do you really need AI? There are so many affordable little hotels on the beach in Negril and food is pretty inexpensive at most of the restaurants.
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. I was assuming that since this Beaches had fewer rooms than TCI that it may not be as overwhelmed with kids. But,yes, my hubby is far more easy to get along with if we are at an AI. He is a receipt adder upper so you can imagine what its like when you want to try so many different drinks! We don't plan on hanging out by the pool. Only on the beach. I am still very open though and I appreciate your suggestions, KVR, on the other resorts. I will check them out.
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 05:03 AM

Even with fewer rooms Beaches Negril feels cramped, maybe more crowded than the one in Turks & Caicos. Both are as beautiful in person as the pictures
Old Sep 18th, 2012, 06:28 PM

The Beaches in Negril are even prettier than the pictures. You have to see them in real life to really appreciate the beautiful clear waters. Beaches Negril is a favourite family hotel which attracts children of all ages. Check out Beaches Sandy Bay (which is also Negril); because of the cliffy terrain at Sandy Bay, the hotel does not encourage very young children at this hotel. It’s a great hotel with wonderful calm acquamarine Caribbean waters and less kids.
optimesp
Old Sep 18th, 2012, 06:40 PM

Negril beach is gorgeous, but when comparing to the beach in Turks and Caicos, Turks is much nicer!
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 03:42 AM

I hate to admit it after 25 + years of trips to Negril, but Blamona is right about the beach! However, Turks has very limited nightlife, if that's of interest to you. It's a much quieter place.
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 08:03 AM
KVR

Yep, Blamona is right. Of all the Islands we've been to, Grace Bay is the absolute best.

My 2nd choice for a great beach would be Grand Cayman 7 Mile Beach. Much better snorkeling and more nightlife than T & C. (IMHO)
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 08:26 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't think the 7-mile beach at Negril is the best in the Caribbean. I don't even think it would be considered "world class" as far as beaches go.

But to the original post above, they is no need to Photoshop the photos!
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 10:08 AM

i think beaches sandy bay closed.
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 01:50 PM

Im sorry to hear Beaches Sandy Bay is closing. I liked the location, and it was not near the cliffs(as stated earlier) but rather in a central spot on 7 mile beach.

The main negative that property had was lack of a solid childrens program.
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 03:43 PM

in my experience and IMHO, all kids really need is a beach, something to dig with, maybe a ball, a float, and an adult.