Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Is Jamaica A Good Choice??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/is-jamaica-a-good-choice-404277/)

ronnieh Feb 27th, 2004 09:52 AM

Is Jamaica A Good Choice???

This will be our first trip to the Caribbean and we are looking for an island that will give us an "over all" Caribbean experience.

Would Jamaica be a good choice?

eileen Feb 27th, 2004 10:30 AM

While many people "bash" Jamaica, I found it to be a beautiful island with very friendly people and yes, "Caribbean" as opposed to say, Aruba, Grand Cayman or Turks & Caicos which is more Americanized, in my opinion. I also like Barbados for a more "Caribbean" experience.

jlb Feb 27th, 2004 10:33 AM

I've been to Jamaica, Aruba, Barbados, and St. Lucia in the Caribbean. I don't think there is only one island that will give you what you are asking.
I find that they all have their own 'unique' Caribbean feeling, and like anywhere in the world, each island has their own 'flavour'. Jamaica is a lot of fun, and I'm sure you'll enjoy your experience there, but don't expect every Caribbean island to be the same.The sun and sand is about all that is common to all!

jacketwatch Feb 27th, 2004 02:54 PM

Jamaica has a cetain feel of its own. a cwertain vibrancy unique to itself. I would say go for it. You will read Ja. bashers but we have been 3 times and had no problems at all. I would not have a problem returning.

golf_guy Mar 1st, 2004 04:56 AM

ronnieh,

I'd recommend you take a look at the Jamaica Inn in Ocho Rios. Very clubby old time Jamaica feel, from back when it was part of the UK. Great beach, great food, entertainment, wonderful rooms, and an excellent first exposure to both the Caribbean and Jamaica.

Check out luxurylink.com under auctions in the Caribbean. There's been a 5 day special running there off and on over the last few weeks, and it is an exceptional deal.

Cher Mar 1st, 2004 05:52 AM

Not sure what your budget is, but I would highly recommend St. John for a 1st trip to the Caribbean and a good "overall" experience. We did this and after having been to some other islands, we find that St. John is our favorite. It is lacking in nightlife, however there are a few places in the town that are fun. You can also take the ferry over to St. Thomas for more nightlife. If you do a search on this website, there's lots of info on St. John ... you'll find that it's all almost positive.

SeeJamaicaCheaply Mar 1st, 2004 05:56 AM

I am a native Jamaican and is heavily involved in the tourist industry by giving advice to visitors coming to Jamaica.

Various sections of the island will match your personality type. For ardent sun, music and beach lovers Negril is the place to be. For remoteness and mixing with the local folks, going on safari tours consider Treasure Beach & Black River. For an active night life and shopping - Montego Bay is recommended. For families wishing to climb a waterfall, swim with dolphins, go horseback riding and other various combined activities....Ocho Rios is the place to be and for staying in the same town as the rich and famous, being one with nature and tranquility, exploring beautiful white sandy beaches and lush waterfalls...visit the relatviely undiscovered Port Antonio.

wjdom83 Mar 1st, 2004 02:06 PM

I just returned from Ocho Rios. It was fantastic. I stayed at Sans Souci. The poster see JA Cheaply had left a perfect description.

willem Mar 13th, 2004 03:27 PM

Just home from Port Antonio and we loved it ! would not hesitate to return , amazingly beautiful , super friendly people , no problems mon !!! Faith