Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Is it really that bad?!?!?! (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/is-it-really-that-bad-741831/)

agapotravel Oct 9th, 2007 06:30 PM

Is it really that bad?!?!?!

Hi! Me again....

I just have to ask about Pavilions and Pools. I have been reading reviews on here and various other places. Some people think it's the greatest place in the world. Other think it's dirty, run-down, and creepy. I just don't understand how there are such different opinions about it. Can someone please help? Thanks a million! :-)

alya Oct 9th, 2007 08:32 PM

I haven't been there so this is just my point of view on travel in general.

I have been to hotels that I loved that get a few bad reviews - probably because the majority of people who post are positive posters and this makes people think they will be getting 5* at a 3* hotel.

How many positive versus minus posts have you read?
Read their previous posts, are they always negative? This will give you a feel for whether the posters are complainers or hated the place compared to where they had visited before.

Caneel on St John for example gets very good reviews for it's snorkeling (although there are reports that the coral is dying) but not such good reviews from some posters about the state of their rooms. Makes me think about their prices :-)

I think any vacation and the expectations you have depend on your 'maintenance level' and I DON'T mean that in a bad way.

It's just if you don't understand about 'Island Time' when you order in a restaurant, you might get stressed.

I do hope you enjoy your vacation - with the amount of research you have done, I'm sure you'll find the right place :-)

beachplum Oct 9th, 2007 11:31 PM

Pavillions and Pools is an older property and there are folks who love it. I haven't been on the property in years so I cannot address the accomodations but heard that they've done some serious "fixing up" especially since some of the units are now privately owned. It would not be my choice because it really has no "view" and it's a 5-minute walk to the neighboring beach. I know some people are into private pools, plunge pools, etc. but that is just not my idea of going to a Caribbean resort.
I think that the expections are what gives many people very differing views of their experience at any resort. Sure you pay top dollar at Caneel and expect some of the "luxury" at comparably priced resorts and it does come up short - no gold plated faucets, outdoor bathing, suites/jr suites, etc. but because it is the only resort on St. John that offers wonderful beachfront accomodations, it can charge whatever it wants. It's like real estate - location, location, location. Little has changed in the physical property over the years but the entire resort is lovely and sits in the Nat'l Park. A couple of years ago, I visited a Hawksnest room and was surprised how "small" it seemed in comparison to my memories of staying there multiple times years ago and finding it perfect! I also remember spending the most I'd ever spent on a trip to the Grenadines and had read only wonderful things, but I just could not wait to leave! Others expect champagne on a beer budget and are disappointed when they don't get it. Even in the "worst" spots you can still have a wonderful time ... altho there can be challenges (my trip to Aruba).
Maybe someone will have a recent experience and give you the updates. It is close to Red Hook that is convenient for the ferrys and dining options.

virginia Oct 10th, 2007 01:51 AM

welcome back. glad to see the controversy didn't run you off. i've read back through your threads. the thing that stands out to me is the comment that p&p has no view and no beach. to me this kills the deal. why in the world would you pay to go to the caribbean and not have a view and a beach. (this is why i too have hesitated to go to st. john - villas off beach/caneel so pricey) i personally don't chooose to stay anywhere no matter how nice, that is not beachfront. i like the little plunge pools, just not enough to give up the beach. i can plunge at home.
also the prices at p&p are not that much cheaper than secret harbour which is where i would be headed.
are you attached to the idea of p&p for any particular reason? perhaps you have a unmentioned discount?
have you picked between tortola and virgin gorda yet??

agapotravel Oct 10th, 2007 03:46 AM

Thank you so much for your responses! Now to answer your questions....:-)

**P&P has more negative than positive, but like I said, the positives are glowing and wonderful, so it just makes me wonder.

**I honestly wanted to stay at all resorts our first time, just because I feel more secure doing that (as in I feel like you have a better chance of getting what you pay for). However, a colleague told me WONDERFUL things about P&P, so I thought I would try it. When I started researching it, though, I began to have my doubts.

**The reason I haven't looked into villas/condos, etc. on STT is because we're only there for 2 nights. I am finding a lot of places that have a 3 night or more minimum.

**We are definitely going to do Caneel Bay (even thought it's outrageously overpriced) on St. John and I think Long Bay Beach Resort on Tortola (although I am getting mixed reviews there too).

**We decided on Tortola versus Virgin Gorda just because it appears to be easier to get to Jost and other BVI from Tortola.

**I had switched to Secret Harbour, but then read terrible reviews about it.

Can you tell I am confused???? :-)

beachplum Oct 10th, 2007 06:55 AM

I am surprised that there were "terrible reviews" of Secret Harbour and, imo, they are not warrented. The beach there is one of the better on STT with beachfront rooms steps from the water in the first three buildings. Each unit is individually owned and decorated by the owner so there may be a couple that are not so "special" but most of them are very nice and many that have recently been totally renovated in the last few years. The single rooms have an efficiency kitchen, king bed, and a sitting area inside and outside on the deck/patio. The Blue Moon Cafe one of the better restaurants is on site as well. I've stayed at SH several times since selling my place and and was really glad that I did.
Remember that they make many different flavors of ice cream because not everyone likes the same. I am sure that Caneel will be the highlight of your trip and next time you can certainly check out some of the wonderful beachfront villas on Virgin Gorda - you won't be disappointed!

alya Oct 10th, 2007 06:58 AM

agapotravel

I just took a look at the website and loved the quote "clothing is optional, but for public areas, we request that you wear at least a bathing suit."

You're only there for 2 nights? I'd say go for it. :) Although to explain my own maintenance level - just the fact that this resort has kitchens would put me off straight away, why pay for an area I would NOT use? :-D

agapotravel Oct 10th, 2007 02:31 PM

Thanks again everyone! I guess I am just going to have to make a decision and stick with it. I appreciate all of the advice! :-)

PrivacyLover Mar 28th, 2008 12:04 PM

Hi! I'm one of the people that love Pavilions and Pools! And, to set the record straight, several of the private villas have views of St. John and the water. Just ask for one with a view when you make your reservation. I always stay in #116 and love it. Lots of the villas have had major upgrades - again, ask. Even thought there's a free daily breakfast buffet, I do like having a kitchen, whether I'm really cooking or not. Nice to heat up dinner leftovers. Sapphire Beach is an easy 5-minute walk, actually closer than the beaches that are part of other hotels nearby. Give it a try - you'll come back!