Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Is it a big mistake to plan a trip do Grand Bahama Island the end of August?

May 9th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

I have a free flight I need to use and a week of timeshare I need to use and am thinking about Grand Bahama Island. I am thinking it is foolish because of hurricane season. What do you think? How is the weather there the end of August? It is really the best week for me to travel.

I have been trying to get a real sense of what Grand Bahama Island is like and just can't seem to get a handle on it. How are the beaches? Also, is it easy to get to some of the outer islands pretty easily by ferry/boat?
May 11th, 2007, 12:07 PM

You are always running a risk in late August. Beaches can be beautiful, but there aren't good ferries from Grand Bahama. Most of the ferry services center on Nassau, which is a much more important business and commercial hub. It might be possible, but you shouldn't count on easy island-hopping from there. The Westin and Our Lucaya resorts are good, and I'm assuming that's where you'll be. If it were me, I'd go to Aruba in August, where there's much less chance of a hurricane and many time-share options.
May 12th, 2007, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Doug, thanks for the response. The fact thatI haven't gotten much response makes me wonder how popular of a destination Grand Bahama Island really is.

I would love to go to Aruba but we need to use a free flight on Air Tran and they don't fly there.

Any chance you can direct me to where I can go to find out about the beaches and whatever else GBI has to offer?
May 12th, 2007, 06:35 PM

I went for 5 days last August.
The weather was a mix, it could pour down rain for 20 minutes, then it would be sunny without a cloud in the sky. There was a Tropical wave at the time (Then it turns into depression, storm, hurricane) yet it was sunny mixed with short bursts of rain only 1 day. Most of the time pretty sunny.

I though Gold Rock Beach was stunning. You need a rental car-and it's about a 45 minute drive. You also pass where they filmed "Pirates of Caribbean 2 & 3".

We also did a dolphin excursion with UNEXO-really cool.

We split our time with Westin and Old Bahama Bay. Westin was terrific-and Port Lucaya across the street was nice, with restaurants, live bands at the square, shops.

I really had a nice time-and I would go again, even in August. Having said that, I have other favorite places in the Caribbean. To me, it sounds like the coolest option for using Airtran miles.
May 13th, 2007, 03:34 AM

Here are some pictures of my Grand Bahama trip last August, including of the ship From pirates movies:

http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...slideshow=true

May 13th, 2007, 04:06 AM
Original Poster

blamona: thanks for replying. I enjoyed looking at your pictures. Can you tell me if the beaches are generally calm water or are there some with real good waves, we love to body surf. Also, I have another question about the water which you may not know. I am aware that in the caribbean and Florida in the summer when the water temperatures are very watm, there is a tendency towards a lot of sea lice and/or jelly fish. I was once in Jamica in August and became so ill from reactions from stuff in the water when I went snorkeling and in Florida in July my kids and I at the time were covered with red bumps from the sea lice. I was wondering if that happens in the waters in the Bahamas.
May 13th, 2007, 04:34 AM

I have been lucky, never experienced sea lice in any of my travels except for 1 time in Boca Raton, FLA. So I can't help you with that.

I also like my waters calm, so I usually don't pay attention to waves. I have seen them in Caribbean, but in general, tend to be calm. I've seen them in Tortola, Dominican Republic, and Cancun, and really see waves in Costa Rica. (No where Airtran flies.)

You can't get to the other Out Islands at all. You would have to fly to Nassau on Bahamas Air, or fly back to Ft. Lauderdale.

You are trying to cash in on freebies-my philosophy-I would rather cash in with Grand Bahama, than loose them and not use it at all! While it might not be your first personal choice for a vacation, considering the alternative (loosing a free vacation) Grand Bahama will do just fine.
May 13th, 2007, 06:05 AM

I can't talk about August specifically but we did go to GBI end of September, beginning of October in 2003. Weather was great.

Yes there is a risk of a hurricane. We are going to the Bahamas this August (Nassau and Eleuthera), and for the very first time, I bought insurance, just in case.

When we went to GBI, we stayed at the Westin Our Lucaya. Very nice resort with a lovely beach. Clear blue, warm and calm waters. No waves. Soft sand. Since our trip, the island was hit by several hurricanes. I don't know how the beaches have fared.

We also snorkeled Deadman's Reef at Paradise Cove. We thought it was okay, not great. The beach at the hotel was much nicer.

Doug is right. The best place to hop from is Nassau.

Good luck.

May 14th, 2007, 08:00 PM

The beaches on GBI are just fine. Those damaged have all been repaired. Think about a rental car and going to Gold Rock Beach at low tide out toward the East End. One of the most beautiful beaches in the Caribbean basin. As for jellyfish only being there can answer that question. They can be anywhere but run in relatively short spurts. We've been going to GBI for nearly 25 years and have never encounted a problem. Sand Fleas can be an issue, and if you go to Gold Rock you've got a nature walk through Lucaya National Park's mangrove swamp where you'll be bothered by most biting insects if you aren't prepared with some type of insect repellant. We think it's worth it. You can see hundreds of photos of the island if you go to my amateur website at http://www.fortunecity.com/oasis/bahia/443/index.htm It's an old site I haven't been able to update in nearly 3 years since the webbuilding software doesn't exist anymore, but the links to the photos still work. Hope this helps.

Danny
May 15th, 2007, 05:11 AM

I was going to suggest a site where Danny is a frequent poster because if anyone knows GBI well, Danny would be the best inside source, and poooooffff, here is his post.

I was on GBI a few years ago and had a great time and things have improved a great deal since then.

Our Lucaya is actually three resorts together and has gotten very good to excellent reviews, and it's very close to the Marketplace for lots of restaurants and a bit of shopping.

I had heard that the ferry service is expanding in the Bahamas, not sure if GBI is on the list yet, so you might check www.bahamasferries.com for info.

Have a great time.