Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Is Hilton Curacao acceptable? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/is-hilton-curacao-acceptable-597429/)

alanb Mar 8th, 2006 09:07 AM

Is Hilton Curacao acceptable?

If we have to leave the Marriott Curacao because of beach construction noise or fumes, would the Hilton be a reasonable alternative ?

Rumrita1 Mar 8th, 2006 12:00 PM

The Marriott is the nicer of the two properties, but the Hilton usualy get good reviews. They are right next door to each other, so I don't see that it would help all that much to move to the Hilton if your goal is to avoid noise or fumes.

For alternatives that are in a dfferent locale, I'd recommend you look into the Avila Beach Hotel or the Kura Hulanda's new beachfront property.

StanKase Mar 9th, 2006 02:36 AM

Kura is nice but quiete expensive.
The Avila looks worn as does the Hilton and attracts a large European guest population. That's not bad, just a fact.

If you want a fairly quiet place with a nice beach there is a resort/timeshare called the Sea Acquarium Resort on the East End of the island that offers 2 pools (big enough), suites have about 600+sq. ft.with a kitchen for breakfast and a few lunches. It is not glitz like the Marriott and is simply R&R.You are right next to Breezes but do not hear the place though it is large and Avila-with Blues, a good restaurant, is 1 1/2 mile away. Also,Larousse, Astrolab Observatory, Avalon are 3 other places to eat within about 5 miles of this little resort.
Also, if you can get in, it has about 40 well maintained suites and studios you will pay about 2/3rds the price of the Marriott.

eileen Mar 9th, 2006 04:53 AM

I visited the Hilton several times last year while staying at the Marriott. While I much preferred the Marriott, I felt the Hilton certainly was "acceptable" especially since the rates seem to be so much lower than the Marriott which I thought was a good value at $200+ a night in high season, so it seems to be the Hilton is also a good value. The beach is not quite as nice and I didn't see the rooms, but it appears to have all the amenities. And it is enough of a distance away (there is a small resort between the two properties and also the Hilton's miniature golf course) that wotk on the Marriott beach shouldn't bother you. Where did you hear they were going to be working on the beach? Can't believe they would do that during high season.

alanb Mar 9th, 2006 05:18 AM

We heard about this in an email we received directly from the Marriott Curacao guest services manager this week, only two weeks before our trip is scheduled, so it is too late to change destinations during high season. Seems strange they would do this in high season.

caribtraveler Mar 9th, 2006 06:02 AM

That is just unbelievable that the Marriott would do that during high season.
Anyway, the Hilton is acceptable. It is definitely not on par with the Marriott. I view the Hilton more as a 3-star. Click on my screenname and you will find my trip report with photos of the Hilton's 2 beaches. It is titled Curacao Trip Report and I posted it in November '05. Let me know if you have trouble finding the report and I will top it for you.

JerseySue Mar 9th, 2006 06:37 AM

We just returned from the Marriott - although the hotel was very nice and the people there were great - watch out for the rats running around at night !! I would definitely stay at the new Kura Hulanda by West Ponte (I think that's how they spell it) it was gorgeous !! and secluded and quiet and no rats !! But I wouldn't go back to Curacao - too many other nicer places !

alanb Mar 9th, 2006 07:11 AM

thanks to caribtraveler, I found your trip report.

sabine1215 Mar 9th, 2006 08:34 AM

I was just at the curacao marriott a few weeks ago; the beach was completely eroded- wall to wall rocks, both in the water and out. My guess is they don't have a choice about doing the beach work during the busy season-

Sabine

tdelano Mar 9th, 2006 09:57 AM

JerseySue, are you talking "human" rats or "rodent" rats? I am curious because I would like to vist Curacao someday!

alanb Mar 9th, 2006 10:02 AM

Is the Marriott's pool deck so close to the beach area that work being done at the beach would likely make it uncomfortable (from noise or fumes) to be at the pool deck ? That would drive me crazy -- and I'd probably move to the Hilton if that happens.

sabine1215 Mar 9th, 2006 10:39 AM

I think the pool is far enough that it should be ok, as long as its not terribly noisy-

DaveJJ Mar 14th, 2006 03:37 AM

I just returned from a 2 week stay at the Hilton. We absolutely loved it and would not hesitate to return. We had an ocean-view room. It was perfect, comfortable bed, clean and well maintained by housekeeping. We did not have any problems at all. The staff are very friendly and efficient. The Yellow Bird restaurant was quite good expecially the breakfast buffet and the Caesar salad.

We found the Marriott far to crowded for our liking, with the old towel-on-the-pool-lounge-chair-before dawn a necessity. At the Hilton that seldom occured nor would be required. It also took forever to get served at the Marriott's poolside bar. It took almost 1 hour to order and get served a bloody hamburger. Contrary to previous posters opinions...we actually enjoyed our dinner at the Portofino restaurant as did our dining partners.