Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   is grenada safe? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/is-grenada-safe-163742/)

sue Feb 21st, 2002 06:31 PM

is grenada safe?

we are 2 women and are thinking of rental a villa in grenada this summer. is it safe?<BR>will we be ok driving/exploring? we are adventurous, slightly off the beaten path types. also considering nevis or tortola.<BR>please help us decide. thanks

Eva Feb 22nd, 2002 03:12 AM

For whatever its worth, I've always felt very comfortable in Grenada ... but I've always had my big strong husband with me, so my experience is no guarantee that two women will feel the same way. Given that, however, Grenada does not have a reputation for crime (even petty), and the islanders even have a certain fondness for Americans. This does not mean that you should let down your guard -- take normal precautions -- by all means, lock your doors, be aware of your surroundings, and don't flaunt your jewelry, cash, etc. Also, I've noticed that unaccompanied women (including me, when walking the beach alone) seem to attract male vendors (of which there are very few outside the marketplaces), but a firm "no, thank you" suffices to send them on their way.<BR><BR>As for driving and exploring, the roads are rough and poorly-marked, the drivers are adventurous, and driving is on the left. Attempt it if you dare! But if you do, it is well worth it -- this is a spectacular island.

judy Feb 22nd, 2002 05:32 AM

Although I haven't been to Nevis or Tortola, I have been to Grenada and although I loved the island and would definately return to be perfectly honest I might feel a little uncomfortable if it was just myself and another woman in a villa. The people we met were great and you would probably be fine but it is a very poor island and there are a lot of people just kind of lurking about. When I was walking by myself (w/out husband) I sometimes felt a bit uncomfortable. If you are concerned but still want to enjoy this lovely island you might be better off staying in a hotel or a more developed area (although none of grenada is so developed as to be commercial which is part of its charm).

sj Feb 28th, 2002 06:31 PM

Having travelled to Grenada for years as well as having visited other islands I have always felt most comfortable on Grenada. The people are wonderful, friendly and helpful. As Eva said, take the same precautions you would any where. A road trip around the island in a rental jeep is not for the faint of heart because of the roads but is certainly not unsafe!

kaya Mar 1st, 2002 12:31 PM

My husband and I returned from our trip to Grenada a few weeks ago. We too, was thinking will we be alright to drive in Grenada- boy, were we ever so glad to have rented (thanks to the posts)! We saved a lot of money since we made many trips to the market and drove ourselves to two of the Falls and to town. Just be careful driving and drive slow if you must. Or do what my husband did, pull over to the side of the road to let the locals speed away. <BR><BR>As for the safety issue, we thought it was pretty safe though we were cautious at times. I did get a "beautiful woman" comment from a local even when my husband was standing a feet away from me!<BR><BR>I do have to warn you, Grenada is a very undeveloped island, yet beautiful in its own special way. I was very upset to see many stray dogs roaming in the streets and one being roadkill. <BR><BR>Make sure you take MORE than a day trip to Carricou. A day trip was certainly not enough time!!! And bring motion sickness pills- rough waves!<BR><BR>We've never been to Tortola or Nevis, but we've heard great things about both islands.