Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Is everything really closed on Sundays in Bermuda?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2010, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leaving for Bermuda in a couple of weeks and will get there on Sunday noontime. I've been told that EVERYTHING is closed on Sundays. Someone else recommended that on our way from the ariport to our B & B we should have the taxi driver stop at a grocery store and wait for us while we pick up snacks for the week, Then I was told not even the grocery stores are open on Sunday. Don't even know if it's a good idea to run up a taxi meter for snacks (!) but maybe I should..........but don't know what is open. Help! Thanks. Taxi ride is from airport to Warwick Parish.
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 08:14 AM

The grocery stores will be open from 1-5 on Sundays. Where exactly in Warwick are you staying? I can let you know which grocery store to stop at. Most businesses are closed on Sundays, the ones that are open will have hours similar to the grocery stores. Public transportation runs on a limited schedule, but is still available. What time does your flight land?
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

txgirl........We arrive at 10:30 AM and are staying at Watercolours B & B in Warwick Parish. Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated! Thank you.
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 05:22 PM

That helps. OK, at the airport, there's a desk with brochures and maps. Get a bus/ferry schedule. It looks like your B+B is very close to the Pink Route ferry. That ferry makes an hourly round-trip run back and forth to town (Hamilton). Hopefully your B+B sells bus/ferry tickets (no cash on the ferries). I would get settled in, take the ferry to town and get some lunch, have a stroll and then hit the grocery store on Front Street at 1pm for whatever snacks you want for your rooms. When you go back to the ferry terminal, you can pick up transportation passes for the week that are good for the bus as well.
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 05:31 PM

I hope you love Watercolours, I certainly did. The location is fantastic, you will be enchanted sitting out and watching harbor traffic. Carole and Joe Holding are the owners. They don't hover, but will assist you with anything you need. Carole is a famous Bermuda artist.

I know it isn't "policy" but I usually ask the guys on the ferry if I can ride in without having a token and buy my token at the ferry terminal. They usually do. In the alternative you might consider emailing Carole and asking her to have some tokens or passes for you.

The home is elegant and well furnished. They take considerable pride in it. It is a very nice property!

Have fun.
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 03:40 AM
Original Poster

All fabulous advice and info...thank you both. Wondering if you can recommend a lunch spot on Sunday in Hamilton that is not extravagant and has great food. Thank you again.......I'm sure I'll be sending more questions. what an awesome way to plan a trip! How did I ever travel before without this forum?
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 04:32 AM

What kind of lunch are you interested in? There's a lot to choose from.
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 05:32 AM

Txgirlinbda is right. There are some fabulous choices in Bermuda. Quite a few of them are pretty expensive.

Carole and Joe are gourmets and they will have some ideas for you. I know one of their favorites is the Fourways Sunday brunch. I suspect you will need reservations even though it is March. They also recommend Port O'Call and Beau Rivage. These are all in the top tier of Bermuda restaurants.

The HogPenny Pub on Queen St in Hamilton and the Frog and Onion at Dockyard are good casual places for lunch. La Trattoria is a reasonably priced Italian restaurant in Hamilton with very generous servings. My favorite quick lunch spot in Hamilton is the Lemon Tree but it is closed on Sundays. Ascots is excellent, but very pricey and very crowded on Sundays. Another place I like to stop in for a casual lunch is the bar at the Fairmont Hamilton Princess. Good array of salad, sandwiches, etc from which to choose.

I also love the takeout from Miles Market. Buy a bottle of wine and you have a perfect sunset dinner sitting out at your b and b or down by the water.

I had lunch at the restaurant at Horizons which is near Elbow Beach on my last visit. I had a lobster club which I still dream about.

You are so lucky to be headed to beautiful Bermuda!