Is Concierge Service at Sandals Negril worth it?

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 07:03 PM
Babette

Is Concierge Service at Sandals Negril worth it?

Staying at Sandals Negril and currently booked in a Grande Luxe Beachfront Room. We are considering upgrading to the Honeymoon Grande Luxe Beachfront Concierge. Is concierge service worth it? Any difference in the rooms? location of rooms? I know with the concierge service you get 24 hour room service that you don't otherwise have. My first concern was having to make dinner reservations in advance without concierge service, but in calling Sandals Negril directly, they said there is only one restaurant in which you need reservations for. I'm not sure what to do? Is this upgrade something to seriously consider?

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 06:21 AM
curt

We had a free upgrade to that level last June. Our room was beachfront with balcony, had a mini bar that was stocked every day with beer, wine, and liquor. Used room service only a couple of times. Reservations for eating are no problem and are done in main lobby area. The only place that requires reservations is the Japanese Steak House. I guess it depends on what it costs to upgrade...remember that all drinks are included but if you don't have the bar in the room you will have to walk to the nearest bar to get one...not a big hardship.

Regardless of what room you choose you will have a great time at Sandals Negril. Be sure to look up the bartender named Cleon and have him make you a hummingbird..he usually works the bar at the piano bar area (you will find it). Also be sure to work with the staff at the watersports area for Hobiecat sailing and Sunfish sailing. They are great guys. The snorkeling trips are good be sure to sign up early to get them as the space on the boat is limited. Have fun - wish I was going too.

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 12:29 PM
Babette

Thanks for the info! To upgrade would cost an additional $196. I figure we're already spending $4800, what's another $196, but I don't know if it's worth it and don't want to hope for a free upgrade if that's something that is really nice!?

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 01:02 PM
Penney

The concierge service is a nice perk but personally, we do without. There are sooooo many bars that we find that we do not really use the one in our room all that much - nice to have, oh yea! We enjoy our upgrades to concierge when we get them! But can do without. And since there are so few restaurants that you need reservations for, we make them oursleves as it really is not a bother. We would rather save the money for something else.

Also, at Sandals NEgril, the Grand Lux Beachfront suites in the Paradise Block ae actually not diffeent in size then the Grand Lux non-concierge rooms as this block use to be all that level! Would need to request a Sundowner block to see and difference (secret tip!_

No matter which cateogry, you will literally be on the beach, which is wonderful. I would, however, request an upper floor room as the sunset are truely beautiful.

Enjoy!

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 02:16 PM
Babette

Thanks for the tips! I like the idea of the 24 hour room service, but not sure if we'd use it that much? Your replies are all so helpful. I've also been informed about the dress, guys, no open toed sandals? then others have told me they didn't really follow a dress code? and tipping, I can't imagine not even though it is "included."

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 03:14 PM
Penney

They are not supposed to take a tip but some do - especially the bartenders but it is not publicly displayed since they are not supposed to! But will get you a drink a whole lot faster and make for a fun week!

Some people like to bring gifts for housekeeping or a water/waitress that they liked, etc.... Think this is a nice gesture.

Dress is alot more casual then it appears in the brouchure and not greatly enforced but think it depends. We have seen men get in with dress shorts were it says only long pants
but then not let in a guy with more casual shorts.

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 03:48 PM
xxx

I'd go with the $196 jump for concierge, you're more likely to get bumped up further in the concierge room categories. You'll love Negril. I'd have my husband be prepared with the shoes & slacks also collared shirts just in case the matre 'd are strict. Have fun!!

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 05:57 AM
curt

None of the eating places in Sandals Negril require long pants on the men, only "dress shorts" and shirts with collars. Of course, since you can wear shorts that open toe shoes (sandals) are also OK. However, if you plan to go to Beaches and dine using the sharing plan then be aware that at least one place at Beaches does REQUIRE long pants on men...I do not recall the name but it is very good and air conditioned as well.

Sandals Negril is less dressy than Beaches.

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 12:22 PM
Babette

Everyone's replies have been so helpful!! Still not sure if we'll go with the concierge service or not! Thinking about it though! Thanks again!