Is Cancun a good choice for my family?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 1998, 07:52 AM
Renee

My husband and I wanted to take our three daughters
ages 6,9 and 10 to Cancun for a vacation.
I am getting some negitive feed back from others that have traveled. They say Cancun is not a place to take children becasue areas surrounding these
wonderful, pretty white beaches are so depressed
and unsafe to take a family. These travelers are not close friends of mine and I don't know how reliable thier information is. Can you please give
me a second oppion. Thank You

Old Jan 26th, 1998, 07:05 AM
Don / Boston

Hi: I Don't believe your friends information is very reliable. I have been to Cancun twice in last year and found it to be as safe as most vacations spots in United States. There are parts of Orlando Florida I would go to and parts I wouldn't be caught dead in ! But I still like Disney World. If you go to Cancun and stay in a nice hotel in the "hotel Zone" Cancun is very safe (obviously you take the same precautions as back in the states.) My family loved Cancun ( I took my son 9 and daughter 15) it has tons to do and is reasonably priced and has very low crime and a very good bus system. Now saying that I wouldn't rent a car and start driving all over mexico with little or no idea of where you are going ! but all and all I consider Cancun, Mexico a safe, reasonable and Fun place to have a family vacation. Email me if you need more info !

Old Jan 26th, 1998, 09:03 AM
Jena E. Bowers

I agree that Cancun is very safe. I walked to Planet Hollywood for dinner from Continental Villas and even at 10pm things are hopping. Many of the hotels on the strip have "Kids Prograns" with great scheduled activities. That way the parents can have a little time to relax and have fun. Almost nothing in Cancun is for adults only. You would take the same care visiting any sea side resort. One plus is that the food is very reasonable and it is easy to find items that anyone would like. There are so many things to do and places to visit that no one will be bored. Please remember that the sun is very strong there and take plenty of at least #15 sun screen. Try Captains Cove across the street from the Omni for breakfast. Plan on taking the bus to get around in Cancun city and the hotel strip. There is only one road and the price could not be better. Enjoy!!!

Old Feb 13th, 1998, 11:23 AM
Sandy

Cancun is a great place for a family!! We took our two boys ages 8 and 10. They loved it. Cancun is one of the safest destinations in the caribbean. There is so much to do with the kids. Your friends must of had a bad experience. Please go you won't regret it. My kids beg to go back every year!!

Old Feb 20th, 1998, 12:58 PM
Norm Armstrong

Cancun is a wonderful place. If you stay at a timeshare resort that has rentals like the Royal Mayan, or the Royal Islander, (Royalresorts.com) they have childrens pools, and a childrens coordinator that provides daily games and activities. They also have Mcdonalds (4) for happy meals. They also have a place just south of Cancun (about 1 mile) called Wolha (or is it Woha) anyway it is like a Chuck E. Cheese kind of place where they have all the tubes and play equipment for kids to crawl around on and it is inside and airconditioned. They have a new waterslide park also so there is days and days of things to keep all your children busy and all you have to do is just sit back and relax (and have another drink with the little umbrella). Have a great time!
Norm

Old Mar 4th, 1998, 09:51 AM
Clark Robinson

CanCun is a wonderful place for family vacations. Aside from great beaches, they recently opened a Wet & Wild near the airport. There is a local ruin on the island that is free on Sundays. Day trips are available to XCaret (a state park with an underground river to snorkel through - equipment rental available on site and you keep the snorkel, a small zoo, Dolphin shows, swim with the Dolphins, and a beach), Telum (ruins), Xhell Ha (swimming ponds with lots of fish), and a wide variety of places to eat (McDonalds, Burger King, TGI Fridays,
Denny's, Carlos N Charles (great food, fun atmosphere for all, dancing on tables, free gifts for the kids), and many more. The water in the City of CanCun is treated and safe to drink (haven't had any problems in 9 trips). The only real problem you may have with the kids is the heat and the humidity,
but what else would you expect from an ocean resort.

Old May 30th, 1998, 07:50 AM
beth

I am planning to take my three daughters to cancun aug 8-aug 15. plan to stay at the marriot. Is there any other place I should consider staying. Have you been to Playa del carmen? any info appreciated

Old May 30th, 1998, 10:11 AM
Rich

Renee,While I do not have first hand knowledge of Cancun, we just returned from Akumal which is 90 minutes south of Cancun. Akumal was great, especially if you have kids. I'm sure that Cancun is wonderful as the other writers have said however, Akumal has one big advantage. From Akumal, Tulum, Xel-Ha, Xcaret & Coba are all very short trips. These sites can be done completely from Akumal in 3 to 5 hours (travel included) while the trip from Cancun to any of these places is 3 hours just in the car! You haven't even seen the place yet and it was 90 minutes there and it will be 90 minutes back. That is a lot of wasted time. Also, the main road along the shore is currently a major construction project and travel is slowed somewhat. This will only make the day trips from Cancun longer. Give Akumal a look before making your final plans. Feel free to e-mail for info or go to www.rascalsinparadise.com. They arranged our trip (including a nanny for the week) and everything was fantastic. Whatever you do, good luck!!!

Rich

Old May 31st, 1998, 02:19 PM
Carol

My husband and I went to Cancun a couple of years ago. We liked it so much that we took our kids ages (10,14,16 & 18) the next year. They had a blast! Just ask either one of them and they will tell you that it was great. Our hotel had so many activities that they didn't want to leave the hotel. We took a couple of tours and went to town in the evening. We rode the bus, which was real simple and real cheap to ride. We all walked down places like Planet Hollywood and Hard Rock Cafe' and never once did we felt scared. We stayed at Beach Palace and Sun Palace. We went to the Sun Palace and canoed and kayaked. We played putt-putt at the Cancun Palace. The only complain our kids had was there wasn't enough time. We hope to get to go back next year. If you want to know any more information just e-mail me.

Old May 31st, 1998, 02:20 PM
Carol

My husband and I went to Cancun a couple of years ago. We liked it so much that we took our kids ages (10,14,16 & 18) the next year. They had a blast! Just ask either one of them and they will tell you that it was great. Our hotel had so many activities that they didn't want to leave the hotel. We took a couple of tours and went to town in the evening. We rode the bus, which was real simple and real cheap to ride. We all walked down places like Planet Hollywood and Hard Rock Cafe' and never once did we felt scared. We stayed at Beach Palace and Sun Palace. We went to the Sun Palace and canoed and kayaked. We played putt-putt at the Cancun Palace. The only complain our kids had was there wasn't enough time. We hope to get to go back next year. If you want to know any more information just e-mail me.

Old May 31st, 1998, 07:25 PM
Gail

Cancun is wonderful! I felt very safe in the shopping areas even after dark. Xcaret is a must! I would plan on spending 2 days there if I were you- there is so much to do- its like a georgeous theme park where you can spend hours snorkling through caves(everyone must wear life jackets, its very safe for kids), swimming with dolphins, beaches, ruins, wonderful restaurants,animals etc. etc. everything but thrill rides. Have fun! Gail

Old Jun 3rd, 1998, 09:13 PM
Tod Hazlett

Looking for accomodations for 3 couples the last week of March 1999, any suggestions? We are loyal Puerto Vallarta visitors and want something different. There are so many hotels in the "hotel zone" that one has a hard time chosing without input. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

V/R

Tod Hazlett