Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Inexpensive Hotels in St Thomas (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/inexpensive-hotels-in-st-thomas-429022/)

cw0904 May 6th, 2004 12:38 PM

Inexpensive Hotels in St Thomas

Are there hotels not too expensive in St Thomas? We are looking to do a spur of the moment vacation and thinking of visiting St Thomas but have budgeted approx, $150/night for hotel stay. Is this possible?
Thank You.

DeborahB May 7th, 2004 04:48 AM

It might be possible - depending on the time of year. I don't know how nice they are but you might want to look into the Emerald Beach Resort near the airport. The location is not good but I believe its one of the least expensive places to stay.

Some others to look into Antilles Resort at Sapphire, Crystal Cove, Sapphire Beach. A good website for more info is wheretostay.com.

Also call each place your considering and check their website too for specials.
Good luck

cdt May 7th, 2004 06:01 AM

If you're traveling between now and Dec. 15 you should have no problem staying under $150.

In "high season," that figure will limit you to beachfront hotels next to the airport runway, or non-beach hotels in and around Charlotte Amalie.

In addition to Crystal Cove and Sapphire Village, you may find summer rates under $150 at Point Pleasant, Secret Harbour, Bluebeard's Beach Club, or Elysian Resort. Most of these are condos and the cheaper units are efficiencies with 1 queen bed.

I have seen reports of people getting a good price at the Marriott Frenchman's Reef through Priceline during the off-season - but there's some risk there, as you can't specify the hotel.

You might also look at air/hotel packages offered by various websites.

cw0904 May 7th, 2004 11:40 AM

Thanks so much for your response. I am not sure about using priceline b/c I had a problem with them on a past trip I took but I will look into the hotels you mentioned. Thanks!

ldscruggs Jun 8th, 2004 01:42 PM

Check out Hotel 1929 on fodors.com or www. hotel1829.com. We stayed there for 4 nights about 3 years ago and absolutely loved it. Only some of the rooms have a fabulous ocean view, ours didn't but it was still great. It is a very small, charming hotel with one of the best restaurants on the island. It's right next door to the Bluebeard Hotel. We only paid $90.00 per night. The location is awesome. It's across the street and up the hill from the port where the cruise ships come in. Great location for shopping and restaurants. We took cabs to the beach and took the ferry to St. John. I would highly recommend it, if you don't require beachfront.

missya Jun 11th, 2004 02:24 PM

PRICELINE!!

Check out biddingfortravel.com, you will get an idea of what hotels/resorts are going for. It seems like 80 a night is the going rate.

missya Jun 11th, 2004 02:26 PM

Priceline isn't a big risk, all of the properties they offer there seem to be very nice.

Resort
Marriott Frenchman's Reef
Renaissance Grand Beach through

3 Star
Holiday Inn
St. John

Resort
Westin Resort St. John

missya Jun 11th, 2004 02:29 PM

You can also check out hotwire.com. We never pay full price for hotels anymore, and have had great luck on all of our trips. They usually end up to be much more nice than what we would usually stay in.