Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page > In the news About Jamaica being dangerous? What do you think?

In the news About Jamaica being dangerous? What do you think?

Jan 20th, 2018, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

In the news About Jamaica being dangerous? What do you think?

Our kids families (with teens) are scheduled at Moon Palace Ocho Rios at end of March. Should I be worried?
Jan 20th, 2018, 02:37 PM

What "news" exactly are you asking about? Did something recently happen?? Jamaica has always had the reputation of being a little bit rough & tumble in the cities or the back country. I don't think there have been problems with tourists staying at resorts.
Jan 20th, 2018, 03:30 PM

This is the news I assume the OP is referring to

British tourists warned to 'stay in resorts' in Jamaica security emergency - BBC News
Jan 20th, 2018, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

That was the article I read along with another paper saying the same thing
Jan 21st, 2018, 10:07 AM

Thank you for posting the link. Sounds like there was a specific incident of "unrest" in Montego Bay St James Parish. I very much doubt that would affect a tourist arriving the airport and going to a resort in Ocho Rios. Jamaica does have a violence/murder rate higher than some other Caribbean islands but when you read details it is almost always insider-business not against visitors.
Jan 21st, 2018, 08:12 PM

I've lost track of how many times I've visited Jamaica. It's one of my favorite places in the world. But I think the current situation is volatile. It might be under control by March, but I'm sure you have to plan ahead. I would choose a different island for your vacation.
Jan 22nd, 2018, 10:33 AM

Weadles, Are your concerns specific to coming thru Montego Bay? Or you think the entire island could be influenced?

(I am not trip planning just curious of your opinion because I know you know Jamaica well.)
Jan 23rd, 2018, 05:09 AM

Suze, I don't like what I'm hearing about military presence in the streets, random checkpoints, and tourists being advised not to leave their hotel day OR night. Jamaica has always been a place where you had to use common sense when leaving your hotel ( which we always did because I hate being confined to a resort), but this seems different to me. Having said that, Jamaican friends in the tourist industry have been posting videos of tourists happily wandering around Montego Bay with no police officers in sight. I don't know what to think, but I would be uncomfortable vacationing there right now, much as I love it. And you know I do!
Jan 23rd, 2018, 05:16 AM

Just to add I don't know how Negril is. Though tourists are being told to make sure their hotels are transferring them to and from the airport. The problems seem specific to Montego Bay right now, which is where the OP was going to vacation end of March. I think it's tricky to plan for March, not knowing what's going to happen. However,
it's obviously in the country's best interest to get this under control ASAP.
Jan 24th, 2018, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your concerned posts.
Since all is booked and paid for they are going but will stay in the resort,

The OP did say that they were going to Ocho Rios.
Hopefully it will calm down by March.
Jan 24th, 2018, 03:07 PM

Sorry, I should've read more closely. Good luck!
Jan 25th, 2018, 10:50 AM

Even if there is unrest on the street of one of the major urban areas, I think tourists would be OK arriving the airport and taking transportation out to a resort in Ocho Rios. Might want to skip the downtown Montego Bay tour this trip.
Jan 27th, 2018, 08:12 AM

I think tourists should be okay going to Ocho Rios. The issue seems to be in the Montego Bay area currently, besides March is a few weeks away so I would say keep up to date with the news.
Feb 3rd, 2018, 11:25 PM

Beginning to have second thoughts...

Have a family of 12 vacation planned for November in Jamaica. But I admit Im having second thoughts. Rented a beautiful staffed villa on Runaway Bay, which is about an hours drive from Montego Bay and the airport.....We consider ourselves fairly savvy travelers, but I would surely hate to take our 4 little ones someplace that isnt safe..... Weve vacationed in the Caribbean many times, but thought wed try Jamacia. Im aware that over the years the island has had, and continues to have problems. The idea of getting there, and feeling uneasy the entire time is something I want to avoid.....Anyone out there willing to be totally honest would be appreciated. Luckily, weve purchased really dependable trip insurance, so I could cancel if we have to.....Thanks to all who are willing to comment
Feb 4th, 2018, 04:24 AM

There is no government (US, Canada or GB) advisory saying tourists should not go to Jamaica, until such a time there is, the country is open to tourists. There is specific advice for those staying in resort hotels in Montego Bay which is good advice no matter where you stay. A state of emergency (which is only in St James) has been extended until May, I think it started with a shooting incident close to Montego Bay airport. I would expect checkpoints and delays in the airport area. November is a long way off and I would not cancel so far in advance. I'm not sure about security in a villa though, I've always been a bit worried about that, maybe you can ask the villa's owners about the arrangements.
Feb 4th, 2018, 10:50 AM

Thanks for the reply. We booked with a reputable rental company so hopefully that is a plus. The villa owner does provide a security service from 6pm - 6am. As you’ve suggested, I’ll stay in a holding pattern for now. Between hurricane damage, and unrest it’s been a challenge to find the right fit this year. Thanks again...
Feb 4th, 2018, 02:15 PM

https://www.worldnomads.com/travel-s...t-to-watch-for
Feb 4th, 2018, 05:51 PM

Thanks for the reply. Definitely need to rethink my decision. Makes a big difference when we’re bringing children into the mix. If it were just adults going I’d feel better. Sounds like a lot of work just to stay safe. Not sure I’m up for it. If my Grandkids see armed guards patrolling the beaches and everywhere else we go, not a pleasant thought.
Feb 5th, 2018, 05:24 AM

Tigeress, I think if you do want to rent a villa in Jamaica, you should look at villas that are in gated communities or on the grounds of established resorts, like Half Moon or Tryall, both of which are not far from the airport. Runaway Bay is pretty isolated. Unless it's changed significantly, there's not a lot going on, and it's
easily a 30 minute drive from Ocho Rios, which was never my favorite part of Jamaica.
Feb 5th, 2018, 10:25 PM

Thanks for the advice Weadles, I really appreciate it. For now at least, I will be keeping a very close eye on the state of things in Jamaica. Please pass on any and all information that you feel I should be aware of. Thanks again....

Search this Thread