Search

Need Help with Cuba

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2018, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help with Cuba

Hi, I was wondering if Cuba could be done "last minute"? My daughter would like me to take her and her friend for graduation. I am not really understanding the Visa process (is it really so easy you just buy at the ticket counter at the airport). Also, how do I prove people to people? And, should we just go through an agency and do a tour? We are up for anything. My initial plan was Airbnb's. Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you!
Old May 7th, 2018, 02:51 PM

Where do you live? For a Canadian like me, it's very easy. No idea what it's like for other countries, especially the US.
Old May 8th, 2018, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

We would be coming from the US. I just don't want to buy tickets and book Airbnb's and miss something crucial. I have found a site called ViaHero that might can help! Can you credit cards work, being from Canada?
Old May 9th, 2018, 05:23 AM

We didn't use our credit cards in Havana. The majority of businesses do not take credit cards, even relatively expensive restaurants. We were able to use ATMs to get cash but converted most of cash (Canadian) when we arrived.

I wrote a trip report about Havana on Fodors. Not sure if you've seen it? We were just there in early April, and had a wonderful time.

Susan
Old May 9th, 2018, 06:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The situation of Canadian citizens and US citizens/residents regarding travel to Cuba is completely different.

See: https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...ages/Cuba.html

Especially: " Tourist travel to Cuba remains prohibited. You must obtain a license from the Department of Treasury or your travel must fall into one of 12 categories of authorized travel. See ENTRY, EXIT & VISA REQUIREMENTS below. "

And: " U.S. credit and debit cards do not work in Cuba. Bring cash to cover your stay. "

If I were a US resident planning a trip to Cuba right now, I would (regretfully) use a properly licensed tour company.
Old May 10th, 2018, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

I will go read!! Thank you!!
Old May 10th, 2018, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

We are going to use ViaHero. They will plan 6-8 hours a day of Supporting the Cuban People. Very excited about that.