Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page > (in leiu of flight) Which boat from st martin to st barths?
Notices

(in leiu of flight) Which boat from st martin to st barths?

Oct 8th, 2002, 11:16 PM
Bryant

(in leiu of flight) Which boat from st martin to st barths?

Can someone please offer their ferry experiences from St. Martin to St Barths? I would rather take the ferry, but the airline recommends against it. (no surprise) Regardless, we will be arriving in st. martin late in the afternoon at 4:30, which is too later for a flight. So now I need a recommendation regarding which ferry to take. Thanks in advance.

Oct 9th, 2002, 12:43 PM
Linda

I can't believe that 4:30 is too late for a flight to St.Barths; there seem to be flights going constantly until a bit later than that. From Julianna airport there is LIAT, WINAIR, AIR ST.BARTHS. You can also fly from Grand Case airport to St.Barths...AIR ST.BARTHS, AIR GUADELOUPE, etc. There are ferries going from the harbour in Marigot and also from near the Atrium on the Dutch side. The crossing can be rough on the way over. If you're staying at hotel on St.Barths why don't you ask them for their advice.

Oct 9th, 2002, 01:25 PM
Mary

Took the ferry that leaves from Marigot & have never had a more unpleasant ride (it was a beautiful, clear, sunny day). People were hanging on to the posts on the boat for dear life (they had to carry one woman off arriving in Marigot -- she was very, very green & practically unconscious). It pitched constantly; we were soaked. According to the crew, it was a normal ride (I grew up on boats in South Florida -- I know what "normal" looks like). We left St. Bart's by air & it's the only way I've travelled there since. BTW, planes are allowed to land until sundown which is around 6 in the winter.

Oct 10th, 2002, 02:10 PM
Lyn

Follow the advice here and don't take what's commonly referred to as the "St. Barf's" ferry. The plane ride is swift and fun.

Search this Thread