Westin/St. John

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 06:11 PM
JV

Westin/St. John

This is my situation. I can use Starwood Points and stay for free at the Westin in Feb 03. However, I am hearing that the beach stinks and that you pretty much need to go elsewhere for beautiful beaches. I will be traveling w/ my husband who just likes to roll onto the beach and not have to do too much work to get there. We stayed at Little Dix Bay last Feb and loved it. Do you think that the beach is terrible enough to warrant us paying for Caneel - and being able to have 5 beaches or so within walking distance.
ps. On our vacations we just sit and read books on the beach in the sun or under an umbrella. We are not into sight seeing - we are just looking for relaxation.

Thanks for you suggestions!

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 08:26 PM
Frank

The Westin beach is not 'terrible', but it's not worth travelling to SJ for.
If you're really picky about beaches and want something special, you need to leave the resort.

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 03:53 AM
Jen

I was all set to book Caneel Bay until I went onto epinions.com and read the most RECENT reviews of this resort. Wow, the reviews from 2001 were wonderful, and the ones from 2002 were absolutely horrible. I think Little Dix is a kissing cousing of Caneel, so now I am afraid of going there too - check it out - anyone been to Little Dix recently that can confirm or deny?

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 04:00 AM
Joan

IMO, the Westin/St John is a terrific place to stay IF you intend to use it as a base to see the island from. If you want to use it as a "plant myself on the beach and not move for a week" resort, I think you may be disappointed.
The beach doesn't "stink" but it it very ordinary and I wouldn't use my Starwood points to sit on it for a week. You will also find alot of families and children at the Westin who are attracted to the pool and the trampoline in the water off the beach.
You might want to consider the Starwood properties on Grand Cayman or Puerto Rico. I think they may be more what you're looking for.
Good luck and have fun with whatever you choose!

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 05:06 AM
cdt

If you just want to literally sit on the beach, the one at the Westin is fine.

If you want to put your body into the water, well.... let's just say the water at the ferry dock looked better to me.

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 05:31 AM
JV

Jen,
I went to Little Dix Bay in Feb 02 and it was terrific! Now, I rate terrific by a good beach, no noise, few people, good food. My husband & I walked into town once for lunch, but ate all other meals at the resort. By the end of the week we were get a bit tired of the menu. The place was sooo relaxing. Also, soon Little Dix Bay will be constructing a Yoga/Spa center at the resort. I am not sure when it is suppose to be completed.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 02:03 PM
Becky

We stayed at the Westin St. John in September 2000, and the beach is okay,
nothing spectacular and not very good
for snorkeling. You can rent a car and
go to any of the other beautiful beaches
there. I would highly recommend going to Trunk Bay for some great snorkeling.
Be forewarned that the prices for food at the Westin is astronomical, but all in all its an excellent resort with beautiful rooms and grounds. I hope you have as good of a time as we did!