In Antigua for a few hours

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30th, 2004, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family (30 yrs, 29 yrs and 6 months) will be in Antigua for 10 hours (7 am to 5 pm) in early January (Monday the 3rd); we're on an NCL Cruise. We do not want to do the normal cruise excursions. Does any have any suggestions?

Matt
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 12:47 AM

Nelson's Dockyard is a fascinating and beautiful place (I never thought I would say that about a dockyard but it's true)to walk around and you would get there before the resident tourists. There are plenty of places to eat,drink and just sit and a pushchair/recliner shouldn't be a problem for two of you, although there are steps involved in various of the buildings.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 03:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It would help to know what your interests are. We usually just grab a cab and go to a beach in Antigua.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 07:01 AM

When we stopped on a cruise, we also grabbed a cab with another couple. We stopped at Nelson's Dockyard and the driver then took us to Half Moon Bay. The beaches are really incredible in Antigua. In fact, we are going back for 10 days in February just to take advantage of them.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 05:41 PM

On a cruise we spent the day at Dickinsons Bay. It was a beautiful beach with a cocktail lounge on the beach with a restaurant attached. It is where the Sandals Resort is located. If you are beach people I highly recommend this beach. I am sure there are many others as well. Have fun.
Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 06:32 AM

If you want to avoid crowds while you're on Antigua, avoid Nelson's Dockyard and shopping along the quays. Both will be packed and would, in my opinion, diminish the experience of either. I like the Dockyard and think it is definitely worth a visit, but it gets packed when the ships are in port. (Then again, I don't know how big your ship is compared to others I've seen there.)

Dickenson Bay is the beach to go to if you want lots of activities. They rent snorkel gear, jetskis, I think parasailing, too. Lots of little beach bars and restaurants to try. Good for people watching. THe water is calm and the beach is beautiful and just over a mile long.

Darkwood Beach is good if you want something more secluded. There's one beach bar on it and I think there are a few picnic tables set up. There's decent snorkeling off shore.

Half Moon Bay is a beautiful place to go, but it's fairly secluded. The beach is beautiful and there is a little bit of surf in the middle (it's crescent shaped) with calm water on either end. I don't remember that there are any facilities there though, so arrange for a taxi pickup or have your driver wait for you if you want to spend some time there.

Long Bay Beach would have been my first recommendation if you want snorkeling, beach bars, calm water, and a congenial atmosphere. However, when I was there two weeks ago the beach had disappeared with all of the storms they'd been having. IF the beach has returned by January, I would certainly recommend it. (Email [email protected] to inquire.) The water is very calm here under normal circumstances and in fact lots of kids from the local villages learn how to swim here.

If you want a little bit of local color, an art gallery to browse, a small private island to enjoy, and a great place for food, try Harmony Hall. It's on the east coast and is a small scale restaurant/hotel/art gallery and gift shop owned by a gregarious Italian couple. The food is exquisite, the view overlooking Nonsuch Bay is beautiful, and with the price of lunch you get a ride out to Green Island on their boat for sunning or snorkeling. Reservations are essential. Call or email before you go on your cruise to make arrangements if this sounds good to you. www.harmonyhall.com They also have two dogs and two cats who love to interact with the guests, which is great when you miss your own "animules" from home.