Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

If you could pick a hotel on GBI what would it be?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2004, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually what would be your top 3 choices on GBI for a weekend getaway for a young couple? Thanks!
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Oh yeah, nothing too pricey....3-4 star hotel, romantic & nearby shopping, rest. etc. Never been. Thanks!
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Oh yeah, nothing too pricey....3-4 star hotel, romantic & nearby shopping, rest. etc. Never been. Prefer to decide by tonight. Thanks!
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Anyone? Help?
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Anyone, help?
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 07:50 AM
caribtraveler

jen24: We stayed at the Westin for our anniversary last year (long weekend). It's a big resort but there was hardly anybody there and I think it was because of the time of the year (end of September). We pretty much had the beach and pools to ourselves (loved that). The beach there is beautiful and the resort has a couple of really neat infinity-edge pools. Do a search for my screen name and you should find my trip report. The hotel was a recommendation from another Fodorite who had also been there with her husband on a long weekend. We were not disappointed.

Old Aug 11th, 2004, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Ok, I have read lots of reviews on trip advisor and have not found any hotel to be over 60% positive. People were stating not to stay in freeport, it's dirty. Was thinking about the Crowne Plaza, Port Lucaya, or Pelican Bay??? Can someone help? I need a nice, clean hotel ON the beach please.
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 05:39 AM

Jen24,
Our family stayed at the Sheraton (next door to the Westin) back in late July. The Sheraton is approx. $30 less per night than the Westin ($109 vs $139) and I would consider it one of your better choices for the price. There are other hotels in the Lucaya area but I would consider them to be more like a motel or 2 stars or less, that are less expensive but I don't have any experience or knowledge to tell you about them. Everything you would want is in the Lucaya complex and directly across the street in the Marketplace. Currently, my wife & I are trying to dissapear for a long weekend in mid-October and stay at the Westin. One of the best newsgroups to check out for more info is: http://f27.parsimony.net/forum67650/

In regard to poor reviews, we saw quite a few poor reviews about the Sheraton before, during and after our visit and didn't find anything close to what some people experienced. Our trip was wonderful. Everyone we met was gracious and courteous, smiles etc... Maybe because we were polite and smiled. Just keep in mind, everything moves a bit slower, so expect service to be more relaxed than back home.

Good luck and happy travels.
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 12:11 PM

Why don't you check out the pictures and trip reports on my amateur web site at www.fortunecity.com/oasis/bahia/443/index.htm?

They deal with Our Lucaya (Westin/Sheraton) a great deal and I feel the "bad" reports are very much the exception to the rule. We just got back last night from 7 days on GBI although this trip we stayed at Coral Beach, but Our Lucaya still ranks #1 on the island, with no other resort even close for what you want. Old Bahama Bay is outstanding, but it's not near much of anything. That's my opinion anyway.

Danny
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all!!! Danny, do you think Our Lucaya is better than the Crowne? Just curious because I found a VERY cheap room rate for the Crowne Plaza. Thanks.
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 06:45 AM

The problem with staying at Crown Plaza is that is downtown and nowhere near the beach. THey do offer shuttles. It is a nice property and if you do not need beachside it would be OK. I disagree with Freeport being dirty. I found it to be one of the cleaner places I have been to in the various carribean islands (it is spotless and shiny compared to the filth of Nassau).

We stayed at Sheraton and it is very nice and right on the beach and also located right by the Port Lucaya market place, full of shops and dining/drinking place. All is newer here than downtown and we thought a bit nicer. If you can get a good rate then the Sheraton is excellent.

Across the street from Sheraton/Westin is the Pelican Bay resort, a very,very nice small hotel with full access to the beach at Sheraton and all facilities at Sheraton/Westin. Very charming rooms and includes breakfast in rates. We will use it next time.

Note that no matter where you stay you will be hit with a $14 per person per day ($28 for two) "service charge" on the room. Mandatory from the unions there and you CAN NOT avoid it and it is NEVER quoted in room rates, so if you are quoted a rate of say $100 then it will be $100 plus tax plus the $28 if there are two of you. Be aware of that. Also be aware that meals can be on the expensive side depending on where you eat.

Top three choices of hotel would be

Pelican Bay
Sheraton at Our Lucaya
Westin at Our Lucaya
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 01:35 PM

Curt is correct in his description of Royal Oasis. Given you know it's not on the water (and I do NOT recommend the beach they provide a shuttle to, Xadandu) it still doesn't compare to Our Lucaya, BUT if you got a great rate the place has undergone over $40 million in renovations in the last two years. If that room is in the Crowne Plaza even better. If it's in the Crowne Plaza Country Club it's not even close to Our Lucaya. As I'm sure you can see, it all depends on what you want. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Danny

Note: There are some packages at some of the hotels, including both Royal Oasis and Our Lucaya, where all service charges, taxes, etc. ARE included. I know, we've done them, chief among them the golf packages. Curt is correct that in most cases that is not true.

me