Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

If i liked Ambergris Caye, is Grand Turk better than Provo? Or Saba?

Old Dec 15th, 2010, 09:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i liked the laid back vibe of Ambergris Caye and while the food wasn't great, it had a good combo of great diving and snorkeling without a resort-y or spring break atmosphere.
I also like the North zone of Cozumel -- far enough away from town with immediate snorkeling access and great seafood in town. Negril up on the cliffs is another one of my favorites (Catcha Fallin Star, Tensing Pen). I'd love to try Saba as the cottages are cute and affordable with great diving but it's twice the miles and lodging is so far from the water. I'm also worried Saba might be a bit cool in January?

Based on my likes, do you think Turks/Caicos is a good idea for first week in January? I wouldn't usually consider it but we have award tix for our dates and so I was looking at 5 nights in Grand Turk, maybe last two nights in Provo in some older resort on Grace Bay as we have an early 7 am return flight.

Any opinions from the Caribb experts would be much appreciated. I know almost nothing of Turks and Caicos and I was surprised at the high prices -- what is the main draw of this island that compels standard $500/night rates?

tia!
Old Dec 16th, 2010, 02:00 AM

Like Provo hillier and greener than Grand Turk.

Great beaches are the draw for Turks and Caicos

but those prices are quite high you are quoting.

www.cheapcaribbean.com many good cost effective options

Saba beaches are not as good but pretty island hard to get to.

Easy to get to by air pretty islands with great diving

St. John or other US or British Virgin Island perfect in Jan.

www.magenspoint.com

Spirit Air is a good econo carrier from the US.

If you liked Ambergis vibe

Might also look at Bay Islands in Honduras

www.anthonyskey.com nice vibe similar to Ambergris

but less touristed.

Have fun,
Old Dec 16th, 2010, 02:46 AM

You might want to consider Roatan or Bonaire.

Provo (Providenciales in Turks and Caicos) is an ultra expensive destination, in the Anguilla/St. Barth/ Caymans catagory. The main draw is the water, the most gorgeous turquoise you can lay eyes on, and the softest whitest powder like sand in the world. There is decent snorkeling at Coral Gardens, but it is roped off in a circle. There is also good snorkeling at Smith's Reef off the beach, and it's not roped off and easy access. While Provo doesn't really have a town, it does have luxury resorts (most are 3-4 stories) lining the 12 mile beach. While it never gets crowded, compared to Ambergris Cay it does feel touristy.

Grand Turk seems more suited to you. Small town, sleepy and laid back. Food better than at Ambergris Cay. Terrific snorkeling, but you need a small boat to snorkel the walls-either the dive shop at Bohio or Oasis Divers can take you out. If there's a cruise ship, chances are they are being taken to Gibbs Cay, but you can have it all to yourself when there's not a ship. (Many leave by 1-2pm.) However, I do think Jan. may be more crowded cruise ship wise. Keep in mind, that even with a cruise ship, the town and Front Street still seemed removed from them.

Even better, you sound like you would enjoy Salt Cay. It's a tiny island, only 3 square miles. You can either walk of rent a golf cart to get around. Food is superb! You'll become friends with everyone who lives there (population is 80) The beach is the best of the best, the prettiest turquoise you'll ever lay eyes on, and chances are you'll have it all to yourself. The snorkeling is terrific (they actually just sunk a boat and plane as dive sights) and even better=it's whale season. You'll have a chance to swim with whales! There are also small cays to explore by boat to snorkel. Email Debbie at Salt Cay Divers for more info, and for help getting there.

The water in T&C seems a little chillier this winter so far (mid-70s) must be the jet stream has dipped so low, to you may want a wet suit or at least rent one. You could also easily split between Grand Turk and Salt Cay. Both do require the main flight to PLS (Provo) then a small flight to either Grand Turk or Salt Cay. There is also a small ferry between Grand Turk and Salt Cay, although it is open water, so based on swells. Again Debbie can help you get to Salt Cay. Prices are closer to Ambergris Cay, and has the same rustic charm, but "English."

As for more rustic lodging in Provo, you might want to try Harbour Club Villas and Marina, the hosts are delightful, and it's popular place to stay with all the divers. Most divers (and snorkelers) staying in Provo go over to West Caicos for diving. Contact HCV they'll are happy to help you with more info. They are not on the beach, but most dive trips leave from their marina.
Old Dec 16th, 2010, 05:51 AM

I'd be much more worried about Turks and Caicos being cold in January. Latitude is 21 degrees.

Saba is 17 degrees, about the same as Ambergris.
Old Dec 16th, 2010, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the helpful responses. I have award tix on hold over New Years and i think it'll be hard to find 35k saver awards at this point, but I'll keep these other suggestions on my radar.

Weather: Cozumel seems cold in the winter which is why I started looking at other islands in the first place. Yesterday, TC was 10 degrees warmer than Cozumel so I'm kinda bummed that it could possibly be cold in Turks Caicos too! I had read that Saba gets chilly in the evenings being high on the volcano but not sure. We're scuba divers with wetsuits although I REALLY wanted to be able to snorkel/swim without one everyday. This talk of water temps in the 70s is a total bummer -- Belize waters sound warmer -- high 70s/low 80s last I checked.

OK - I think I'd love to split a trip between Salt Cay and Grand Turk. I'm thinking Osprey for GT (4 nights), SC (3 nights?) and have no idea about accommodations in Salt Cay yet since this is the first I've heard of it, lol.

Currently, my 7 am flight home requires us to stay in Provo at least our last night and I'm debating on Comfort Inn, Atrium, or La Vista Azul. If I book 2 nights in Provo, I'd go with a nicer place like Sands Resort? But if I'm hearing this correctly, I won't feel I missed out on anything in Provo as the beaches in GT and SC are just as nice as Grace Bay?

As always, thanks qwo, blamona and JeanH for your valued advice.
Old Dec 16th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Um, there doesn't seem to be many places to stay on Salt Cay?

If anyone knows of anything nicer than Mt Pleasant Guest House or Tradewinds (or has opinion of which is better) please do share!
Old Dec 16th, 2010, 11:15 PM
Original Poster

There are no flights/ferries out of Salt Cay on weekends so we have to stay for 3 nights -- is that too long? Salt Cay might be *too* rustic (!) and beaches look grassy and not as nice and powdery but maybe that's just the pictures. Manta House on Grand Turk doesn't have room on Dec 31 which is why we thought we'd start off with Salt Cay.

Day 1-3, NYE: arrive Provo 2 pm, fly to Salt Cay ($80)
(Lodging: Pirates Hideaway, Mount Pleasant, or Twilight cottage) Dive at least 2 mornings.
Day 4-7: Monday - fly to Grand Turk ($40) Lodging: Manta House or Opsrey. Dive at least 2 mornings
Day 8: 4 pm flight from GT to Provo. Check into Comfort Inn
Day 9: 7 am flight

Any suggestions or comments about how to do this better? If an afternoon return flight home opens up, we'll stay in GT our last night.

tia
Old Dec 17th, 2010, 04:22 AM

To my knowledge you probably can't fly into Salt Cay in the afternoons, except a Friday. Caicos Express has a daily flight to Provo (not sure if they stop at Grand Turk, they might) so really you don't have to stay 3 days in Salt Cay. If there are whales sighted though, you might want to snorkel with them all week!

The beach in Salt Cay is stunning, may be the most gorgeous in the world! You're probably not viewing pictures of North Beach. There's one at the end of this slideshow, and this picture doesn't even show how big, wide and gorgeous it is:

http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...view=slideshow

You can email Caicos Express at [email protected]

Places to stay in Salt Cay, I like villasofsaltcay.com or Genesisbeachhouse.com

No place to stay on North Beach, so don't judge a beach by the villas pictures.

If you're diving, you have to stay at least a couple of days, can't dive before and after flying.

In Grand Turk, I like Osprey the best, followed by Bohio Resort. I also like White Sands Resort, but you need a car to get back and forth to the small town.

Keep in mind, both islands are "rustic." Manta House in GT is definitely rustic, Osprey is pretty nice. But rustic is relative, I find Ambergris Cay to be rustic.

If you can fit in at least a full day in Provo, Grace Bay Beach is way to spectacular to miss! Consider Sibonne (might be sold out), Caribbean Paradise Inn, or Grace Bay Suites. Comfort Inn is okay, but decent for the money.

Did you contact Debbie at Salt Cay Divers? She can really help out.
Also, whales really get going at the end of January--it might be to soon at New Years.
Old Dec 17th, 2010, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Those are some of the most gorgeous pics I've ever seen. Absolutely amazing. Ok, i think I'm back in for both.

We arrive at PLS on a Fri and wanted to minimize inter-island flights. Maybe:

Dec 31-Jan 5: Fly to GT, 5 nights at Ospreys
Jan 5: fly to Salt Cay, stay 2 nights.
Jan 7: (Fri) fly to Provo
Jan 8: fly home

i wouldn't mind doing one splurge last night in Provo but we're leaving hotel at 5 am the next day which cuts into being able to enjoy a nice room. thx again
Old Dec 17th, 2010, 08:58 AM

Air Turks and Caicos has flights all day to Grand Turk, they'll be a flight after you arrive to Provo.

Contact Oasis Divers-many dives (weather permitting) go over to Salt Cay anyway. So it would cut out all your back and forth. Also try Blue Water Divers, and there's another company who's name escapes me that can take you over to Salt Cay anyway. From North Beach on Salt Cay you can see cruise ship parked at Grand Turk.

See if you just stay in Grand Turk 5-6 nights, add the remainder to Provo.
Old Dec 17th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

OK -- Sibonne has rooms but 3 night minimum. I'm checking with the others -- it's a good thing that those days seem to be right when peak season cuts off. I can't believe how quickly I went for the last 2 nights in Provo idea These hotels you suggested are very affordable at $175-200/night, thanks. (cheaper than our room at GT)

At Osprey's have you stayed in the basic Beachfront King or the Queen with kitchen -- do you think the kitchen is worth an additional $300? The King actually looks like a cuter room, but again, could just be the pictures.
Old Dec 17th, 2010, 10:37 AM

At Osprey I stayed in a king four post bed beachfront, it was really nice.

FYI you can dive off of Provo-most go to West Caicos for the day from there, it's really nice.

Did you contact any GT dive operations to see about going over to Salt Cay?
Old Dec 17th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

Did you have the ground or 2nd floor room at Osprey? Dive shops confirm what you say about being too early for whales. Salt Cay day-trips with Oasis are $250 for just us (50 pp if others join), waiting for Bohio to respond.

Provo Hotels:
Sibonne: std courtyard: 175/night; balcony ocean $200/night
Caribbean Paradise Inn: 145/night

Think I'm leaning towards Sibonne cuz beachfront. Are there other small places with nice rooms at around $250/night that you might suggest? I'd love to end our trip in a hotel that feels more splurgy than our 6 nights in GT but the ones coming up on expedia look Holiday Inn-ish at that price range.

thx so much, i think this trip is looking pretty good.
Old Dec 18th, 2010, 06:26 AM

That price range will be more Holiday Inn-ish. A terrific bang for your buck is West Bay Club. Email the manager to see about maybe a discount for only 3 days (they usually give promotions for longer stays, but doesn't hurt to ask.)

West Bay Club includes breakfast, is ultra luxurious (especially for the price) and is a minute's walk to off-the beach snorkeling on 1 side, 10 minutes to a better reef on the other-yet has a wide clean sandy beachfront. They have amazing beds, and for the price can't do better (I'd actually pay more, but don't tell them!) You could also try Alexandra, although they have luxury rooms and pillow top mattresses, they are queen size beds. They are in the middle of the "hub" and you can still walk about 15 minutes to snorkel.
Old Dec 20th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

I got a reply for Alexandria resort with ocean view on 3rd floor for 179/night but that rate is for the entire week. It seems like a great price for Provo but I think we ought to head to GT for most of our trip and I'll have to pass on this seemingly great offer. If they had emailed me a week ago, I would've booked them before discovering GT options!