Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

If anyone has been to Sandals Negril, please give us your opinion....

Notices

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 07:07 AM
David

I am booking our honeymoon for next March at Sandals Negril. I have decided on the "Honeymoon Grande Luxe Beachfront Concierge" room and there are two different "blocks" for those rooms. I was wanting to get anyones' opinion on whether we should request a room in the Sundowner or Paradise block (and 1st or 2nd story).

I would appreciate any opinions or insight on the differences of the two.

Thanks for your help.

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 02:20 PM
Penney

Both blocks are literally on the beach. We were in the Paradise Blcok and loved the central location - upper level gives you the ability to keep windows and balcony door open at night and gives you a better sunset view. Negative is that these conceirge rooms in this block only recently became concierge - before they were regular Grand Lux rooms so they are really no differnet other then a bar.

The Sundowner Block is at the far end of the beach - very private location but a bit from things but nothing is that far! It would be quiter therer as well.

Have a great trip - it is our favorite Sandals!

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 05:54 PM
Kim

Sandals Negril was the best vacation we have ever had. The beach was awsome the people we met while we were there we are still great friends with and visit them in another state. The food and the staff were great.The Jamaican people are the most friendly people we have ever met. We will be back there in Feb.

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 06:32 PM
d motl

We were in Negril for the first time last year. Great place but be aware that Negril will be occupied almost totally by partying spring breakers during March. We did a first timers brouchure after we returned--we e-mail it to you on request. Dan and Ginny

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 09:39 AM
Angela

Wen tot Sandals Negril for my honeymoon 2 years ago and couldn't have been more pleased. The beach was fabulous. As for the room, we also had the Honeymoon Grand Luxe Beachfront concierge as well. We were in the Paradis block and as a previous poster said, this is a more active location. You are right in the center of the resort, just down the hall from the main restaurnt and the bech grill is just outside of your room. It was a noiser area and not as secluded but we loved that about it. As a young couple, we never went to bed until about 2 a.m. anyway and by that tiem its quiet. We enjoyed being lose to the pool and wante dto participate in all the Playmaker activites so we could win the little miniature sandals necklaces. The location is ideal for active people. The sundowner blok is way on the far end and is a more tree-filled area away from main lobby, restaurants and pool (if you are the quiet type this is a good location. As for 1st or 2nd floor, we had first floor and liked it beause our french doors opened right to the beach and we were able to use these to go in and out most of the time that way we didn't have to go "around the mulberry bush" and through the main building to get outside. I suppose it would be nie to keep your balony doors open at night, just not something I would do even on the 2nd floor (I live in downtown Chicago so I'm not used to that kind of freedom) besides we loved the air conditioning! Another thought, being in Paradise Blok you are close to main restaurant and lobby therefor, it takes about 5 min. for room service to get to you!!!!! We used room service at least once a day and usually more, I can't imagine a better trip!

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 01:00 PM
Joe

Been there in about 3 months ago.

I thought the beach was nice, but it wasn't a very good value for the money. Food wasn't bad, we enjoyed it.\
BUT...
I would have chosen a different Island in retrospect. I thought the Hotel was basically a holiday inn motor lodge, on the beach. We had a good time, but were upset by how much we paid. We upgraded to the honeymoon deluxe beachfront room, and didn't think much of it. I think we spend more than we spent when we went to hawaii...and our room had a window airconditioner...no resort is luxury with a window airconditioner!

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 01:03 PM
Joe

in addition to my last post let me add...

This can be a great trip, but it depends on your expectations. We typically stay at the Four Season, and the Ritz. When we travel europe and africa, we stay at extremely luxurious hotels, so it depends on how nice your "taste's" are...

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 04:43 PM
Kim

Joe must have stayed someplace different then the rest of us. It was a beautiful resort , nothing like a Holiday in motor lodge. We have been to many Sandals resorts and this one is on the top of the list as the best.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 06:48 AM
Carl

Sandals Negril, contrary to what Joe says, is wonderful. We were just there a few weeks ago and found rooms, grounds, and food to be top notch, as is the staff. Don't let Joe fool you.

Our room was the Concierge type, located on second floor or Paradise block, just above the beach grill (no problem never noisy at night). Great balcony with perfect view of beach. We loved the location as it was short walk to everything, right in center of resort. Advantage to second floor as mentioned above is ability to leave doors to balcony open if you wish. The ground floor rooms have a patio (covered) and let you walk out right onto the beach. Really a matter of personal preference. All rooms have in room safe to lock up valuables (which you really shouldn't take along anyway).

This Sandals is nice since none of the dining areas require long pants - very casual. Dressiest you have to get is "dress shorts" and no t-shirts in a couple places. However, if you plan to go over to Beaches to eat one of their places does require long pants.

Be sure to drink a hummingbird a wonderful drink - BUT they go down easy and do have a bit of a kick. I think you will love this place.

If you are interested the excursion they offer to Dunn's River Falls is well worth the money IMHO. On the way to the falls you visit Sandals Montego Bay for a drink/potty stop, have lunch at Sandals Dunn's River, stop in Ocho Rios for some shopping, then climb the falls, then stop at Sandals Royal Carribean on way back for drink/potty stop. All day trip leaving around 830am and returning to Negril around 7. Check that out.

All in all we loved Sandals Negril and would return without hesitation and plan to do so asap.