Ideal place to take the family

Old Jul 7th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ideal place to take the family

Hi everyone and thanks in advance for your help

We are a family of 6, mum, dad and children from age 8-14. We are experienced travellers and prefer to find off the beaten track destinations and like to use local restaurants and local facilities. Hotel chains, compounds, and orgnaised tours are NOT us, we like to do our own thing and appreciate the privacy of a large villa to rent. Our last vacation was on St Kitts, which we loved.

We like snorkelling, watersports, exploring the local terrian (the rainforest on St Kitts was fantastic), chilling out on quiet beaches

Our budget is reasonable, but not unlimited!

In an ideal world we would like:
Large well appointed villa for the 6 of us
Close to beach (preferably within walking distance)
Very clear water with good snorkelling
Good local restaurants
An island that within reason you can explore safely yourself without guides
Friendly people

Any ideas or recommendations would be very welcome

Thanks!
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 09:45 AM

Check out rental villas on Mahoe Bay, Virgin Gorda. This is a small upscale community with either beachfront or beach access villas. The 3/4 mile long beach is uncrowded with crystal clear calm waters and there's a fantastic snorkel reef the spans the entire bay about 150' off shore. As an added bonus you'll find very good walkin snorkeling from many of the other beaches around the island. You get great views of neighboring islands and the setting sun. There's plenty of good restaurants in all price ranges within a 5 to 15 minute drive. The island offers good hiking trails and other places of interest for you to explore. In short, it doesn't get much better anywhere in the Caribbean. If you loved St. Kitts you'll love Virgin Gorda even more.
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 09:48 AM

What you're describing sounds like Grenada, particularly if you enjoyed the feel of St. Kitts. You're flying from the UK, I take it? Good, because it's quicker and easier to reach Grenada from there than from almost anywhere in North America.

Take a look at www.spiceislevillas.com, which has a terrific array of villas in various levels of luxury and price ranges. Most of them have fantastic views and a handful are within a short walk of a beach, but not the best beaches on the island. I've stayed at TradeWinds and Turtleback, depending on my occupation needs, and Tradewinds would work for you. So would BeachCliff, a villa owned by the same people as TradeWinds. If you're traveling between now and the beginning of December, they're offering some fantastic reduced low season rates.

www.GrenadaExplorer.com and www.grenadatravelforum.com are both good places for learning more about the island.
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 10:07 AM

re travel style. we must be twins!!
grand cayman and provo, t&c both offer great snorkeling, lots of dining options and tons of villas to choose from. these are flat, arid islands though & i have rented on both.
you might prefer st. john usvi (not likely to get beachfront)or better still virgin gorda bvi. on virgin gorda take a look at the mahoe bay houses. both these islands are more lush & hilly.
http://www.villasofdistinction.com/d...ons/mahoe-bay/
this page lists a few different houses: http://www.islandhideaways.com/virggord/
make sure you're looking at villas on mahoe. it's nicer & more secluded than leverick. several fodorites have stayed in these houses and been Very happy. if you decide on this area i'll try to find their trip reports for you.
we were to go a couple years ago and selected open deck as it had the largest pool & large shaded deck. other fodorites stayed in adagio, ?sea fans or caribbean wind - i just recall they liked the raised lip on the pool as they had a baby with them & maybe beach dreams.
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 03:28 PM

We just returned from 10 days in Eleuthera Bahamas which was a HUGE hit for our family. I am torn between wanting to gush to everyone I meet how awesome Eleuthera is and trying to keep it a secret so it will not change!!

We rented Savannah Sunset. http://savannahsunset.net/ Beautiful location right on the water, everything is brand new and equipped like you can't imagine. We will be comparing all future vacation villa's to this one. The website does not do it justice.

Gorgeous empty beaches, clear blue water, good snorkeling, so safe that picking up hitchikers in encouraged, 110 miles to explore and certainly off the beaten path.

I would love to gush more if you have questions!
Have fun planning!
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 07:05 PM

We love CURACAO. Cant wait to go back!