Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   iberostar or other resorts? honeymoon help (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/iberostar-or-other-resorts-honeymoon-help-906536/)

hunnymooner Sep 18th, 2011 06:01 PM

iberostar or other resorts? honeymoon help

Hi, I desperately need help between 2 resorts for our upcoming honeymoon. We were thinking about either Iberostar Grand Bavaro in Punta cana or Iberostar Grand Paraiso in Riviera Maya. We are going in October(I know about hurricane season but we will get travelers insurance) Or, other than hawaii or aruba, any other suggestions for an AI, in october? We are flying from Pittsburgh and want to spend no more than $5k max for everything. We are looking for great food, lots of drinks, mediocre nightlife, and a lot of relaxation. All and any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks a million!

Weadles Sep 18th, 2011 06:52 PM

I don't know how you feel about Cancun ( I wasn't a fan, either until last year), but we had a really great vacation last year at Live Aqua, which is now completely AI and adults-only. It's a really beautiful property with a quiet section of beach, lots of pools, a decent gym, great spa, and good to excellent food. The only downside is that there isn't much to do on site at night, although they have a couple of bars in the resort. There's a wonderful Argentinian steakhouse with entertainment a short cab ride away, and Cancun itself is not far by public bus or taxi. We had a wonderful time, and have already booked again for this winter!

qwovadis Sep 19th, 2011 01:46 AM

You are trying to go down in peak storm season

Mexico is your best choice then usually have a

look at mexico.bookit.com for Cheap packages

Secrets Maroma or for better weather perhaps Cabo Dreams

Usually that time of year I go to Konaweb.com

4 hour direct flight from LAX www.princeresortshawaii.com

Hapuna prince packages for me from $1k/wk including air

car lodging but not AI still GREAT!

Might consider that Kohala Coast gets least rain of all

in fall... They do the Ironman out there in October so

it gets crowded that week otherwise is a super time to go.

Congrats!

qwovadis Sep 19th, 2011 01:49 AM

www.priceline.com

had the best Hapuna Prince

package rates for me last paid $1kpp per week all in

except for food it was great Volcanoes NP there was amazing.

Caribzack Sep 19th, 2011 02:42 AM

Not sure of rates but, check out The Veranda on Turks & Caicos
new AI on a great beach.

schmerl Sep 19th, 2011 04:27 AM

I would recommend the Iberostar Grand Paraiso over the IB Grand Bavaro. Both are top notch resorts, but I prefer Mexico's Riviera Maya to Punta Cana. There is more to do off the resort in Mexico.

greenie Sep 22nd, 2011 04:33 AM

Why so stuck on AI? some of my best experiences in the caribbean have been cool little local restaurants where you meet lots of people. You could head down to barbados and spend as little as a $100 per day each for food and drink and use the rest to explore...rent a car...get out and see the sights!

I agree with Schmerl...if you are stuck on AI I would go with Mexico. There IS much more to do off the resort.

Peace, Greenie