Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

I need your help again. Please review and improve our itinerary. Traveling to Little Cayman

I need your help again. Please review and improve our itinerary. Traveling to Little Cayman

Jan 4th, 2006, 04:25 AM
Original Poster

We will be going for the first time to Cayman Islands for one week in April/May. We are scheduled to arrive on Grand Cayman at 3:40 pm. The flight to Little Cayman is at 4:45 pm so we decided we should stay on Grand Cayman overnight. Since will be staying there why not for one more night so we can go snorkeling the next day to Stingray Sandbar.

My questions are,
1. Where to stay for two nights? We prefer the north part of the Seven Mile Beach in a place with kitchen facilities where we can make at least our own breakfasts. We rather not spend more than $300 per night for accommodation
2. Should we take a taxi from the airport to the hotel/motel/condo where we are going to stay?
3. Should we rent a car the next day (Sunday) and drive around island to visit beaches and snorkeling spots?
4. Should we maybe rent a car at the airport?

5. If we take a flight to Little Cayman on Monday at 9:45 am, our condo, The Club, is not going to be ready for us. What do you suggest we do meanwhile on Little Cayman for a few hours?

6. On our return our flight to Houston departs at 4:20 pm. We have two options.
The first one is to take a flight from Little Cayman at 9:30 am and spend rest of the day on Grand Cayman but what to do and how? After all we are going have all our staff with us.
The second option is to arrive the day before our flight back home but that means we stay on Little Cayman only four nights.

7. If we decide to stay one night on Grand Cayman before our flight back home maybe Marriott's Courtyard would be acceptable accommodation? Can Courtyard store our bags for a few hours?

8. If we go snorkeling to Stigray Sandbar with Captain Marvin how long this trip lasts? Can we do this trip on the day of our departure just before we fly back home at 4:20 pm?

What to do? What would you do if you had only one week? What do you think? What are your suggestions?

Thanks
Pat
Jan 4th, 2006, 05:23 AM

Check out caymanvacations.com for codo options. And check out Capt Marvins web site for tour times. You'd almost need a car since you'll need to stop at a grocery store for items for breakfast. I'd suggest renting one at the airport - it would make it easier for youl. If you take the 930 flight - spend the time at the beach and then go to the airport. The same with an early arrival at LC - the hotel will store your luggage while you enjoy some beach time. Courtyard Marriott is a very good accommodation.

I don't think snorkeling with Capt Marvin - if you do the 930 flight - would work out timewise.
Jan 4th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

joanie433, thank you for your help. Since you approved Courtyard we would stay there one night before going to LC and one night before flying back. Would you go on snorkeling trip on your last day of your vacation early in the morning if your flight back to Houston is at 4:20?
What time do we need to get to the airport? Are two hours required and needed in Grand Cayman? When we were recently on Cat Island our hotel informed us we need to be in the airport two hours before our flight. We knew it had to be a joke so we refused to go so early.The airport on Cat Island is about the size of a shoe box and took about 2-3 minutes to check-in. There were 8 people on our flight and no other flights departing or arriving.
I need to check out car rentals. Any recommendations?
Jan 4th, 2006, 12:52 PM

As to car rentals, I'd go with whoever was the cheapest. And I'd get the smallest car they have. I don't know that I'd do a trip the last day just because of the hassle but I think, time-wise, it could be done - you'll have to check the times on Capt Marvins site. W e've stayed at Courtyard Marriott several times - it's across the road from the beach but just about a 1-2 minute walk from the hotel door. We always do the 2 hour thing - the lines can be long to check-in and they sometimes move very slowly. The same about going thru immigration into the waiting room area. I'd rather get there than have to be rushed. There are often several flights leaving at close to the same time and that can cause back-ups when going thru immigration.
Jan 5th, 2006, 01:05 AM
Original Poster

As suggested I checked the Captain Marvins website. This is what I think we'll do. Stay at the Courtyard, take 9a m to noon half-day snorkeling trip, then get back to Courtyard and take 2:40 pm flight to Little Cayman. Do you think we will have enough time to get to the airport in time for our 2:40 flight to Little Cayman?

How many people go on those snorkeling trips? We are planning to be there on April 30th.
We prefer to go with very small groups or on private trips but it doesn't look as Capt Marvin's groups are small.

On our last day when we are ready/or not to fly back home we are going to make sure we have at least two hours before our departure to Houston.
Jan 5th, 2006, 04:14 AM

For a smaller group, I'd suggest you try Capt Clinton Ebanks - 949-1016. Our family has gone with him for years and he does a great job. All the trips go to the same areas - the stingrays, reef and coral gardens are the usual stops.