Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

I'm psyched! Our first trip to St. John.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2005, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's all set! 12 days in mid June 2006. 5 at Caneel Bay and 7 in a villa rental near Francis Bay. SFO to STT via IAD on United with Mileage Plus.

I've had a ball researching things for this trip. I was initially bewildered with the number of choices for villa rentals, but I just kept looking and researching and eventually settled on the "Honeymoon Cottage" through Terry Witham. I was also conflicted about whether to spend the $$$ on Caneel. After reading the endless reviews here and other places, I decided to go for it. It is a spot that I've wanted to visit for a long time. All the reviews (positive and negative) have been very helpful in forming realistic expectations about Caneel. Yikes! I am amazed though by the extreme range of views. I'm really looking forward to forming my own opinions!

Thanks to all of you who post about St. John! I'll be back to ask about the finer points as d-day draws nearer.

-Bill
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 12:47 PM

Bill,
Glad to hear that you chose "Honeymoon Cottage" it is one that someone suggested for me to check out.I look forward to your trip report (in about 1 year from now ) I really want to hear about the villa..we might stay there during a trip in the future.

Next visit for us..will be in March to Gallows Point.(hopefully)
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 01:44 PM

Congrats, Bill. Francis Bay is a beautiful area...well, the whole island is beautiful too. You will have a great time, I'm sure.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

christiegr,

307 days to be exact!

-Bill
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 07:25 PM

Great choices !!you are going to love this island.Terry's Honeymoon Cottage is perfect for two and the short walk to francis bay will only add to your stay..not to mention the many beaches on Caneel property.!I assume you're renting a vehicle..just hop in it and explore all of St.John.So many beaches/restaurants/bars in both Cruz and Coral bays.We will be back in 3/06 and YES, i'm counting the days !! No matter how many times i've been there i still get excited planning the return. some of my favorite beaches:gibney,maho,hawksnest,francis.places for dinner or lunch..tage,morgans,rumb lines,miss lucys,shipwreck,skinny legs,bananna deck.best bars for meeting people..beach bar,woodys, and our last trip 4/05 the new place compass rose/great sunset view and good food!!by the time you leave you'll have your own favorites and then you'll find you can't wait to go back and have some more fun!!as i said you're going to love this island.!!
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 08:50 PM
Original Poster

Glad to hear positive things about Francis Bay and the Cottage! Thanks all.

-Bill
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 03:55 AM

So happy for you! Welcome to the love affair with St. John. 12 days will zip by quickly. But it's plenty of time to really explore the island. I'm so glad you're willing to give Caneel a chance. They are still refurbishing and I'm sure will be nicer than what recent posters have reported. Cruz Bay is nicknamed "Love City" for its quaint size and general feeling of well-being. Do try to get out to the east end/ Coral Bay too. It's the "wild" side and so beautiful. Post if you have any questions before you go. And, as Christie says, we are all looking forward to that trip report.