Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   I booked a Sandals but getting Nervous (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/i-booked-a-sandals-but-getting-nervous-303442/)

MoniqueU Apr 3rd, 2003 08:54 AM

I booked a Sandals but getting Nervous

Ok here goes...<BR>I booked a Sandals. I have been to 2 lido's in Jamaica Braco and San Souci. I adored them both. I am getting nervous I won't like sandals as much.<BR>And before you get started on the whole sandals and AI's are horrid thing I love AI's. I like my food americanized, like not tipping, love having my food and drinks included etc. I don't care for ala cart vacations very much and don't want to tour the island in a jeep. That is just me I don't care for Broadway shows or cruises either.<BR><BR>Anyway for anyone that has been to both, PLEASE tell me that I am not making a mistake. I booked Sandals MoBay for it's beach, location to the airport and I got a good deal on suite concierge. Thank You!

SillyGirl Apr 3rd, 2003 09:36 AM

Monique,<BR>You sound like exactly the right type of traveler for Sandals. You want to park yourself at the resort and relax. Not have to worry about unfamiliar food or going anyplace out of the ordinary. Eat and drink what you wish and not worry about the bill. It's certainly not my kind of vacation but to each his own. I'm familiar with the Grand Lido resorts and IMO Sandals is a step down but you should still be satisfied. <BR>

Diana Apr 3rd, 2003 09:44 AM

I agree with the previous poster.<BR>I think you will be very happy with your choice based on what you are looking for.<BR>It's not my type of place either, but I think you've made a good selection.<BR>Relax and enjoy your vacation.

beachlover99 Apr 3rd, 2003 10:20 AM

I think you are really going to enjoy your vacation at Sandals. We honeymooned at the one in Antigua last year and we stayed at the resort the entire time, except for shopping in town one afternoon. We loved being able to relax on the beach, get up and use the watersports equipment anytime we wanted and being able to eat/drink without having to worry about having cash on us for the bill/tip. We also enjoyed having nightly entertainment. We had something to keep us occupied at night and we never had to leave the resort. It makes for a very relaxing vacation. <BR><BR>As long as having a spectacular meal every night is not a must, I think that Sandals is great. Espeically with the 35% discount they offering right now. You will enjoy the concierge service also. Be sure and visit Sandals Royal Caribbean while you are there. They have a private offshore island that you might enjoy. Also remember that your vacation is what you make it. Enjoy!

Knowing Apr 3rd, 2003 10:29 AM

Sandals MoBay is fabulous. Big beach, good entertainment at night and it sounds like you got a good deal. I agree with SillyGirl that it may be a step down from the Lido's, but as long as you recognize that, you should be fine. We thought the food was divine and the bartenders made everything from Godfathers to whatever and were VERY quick to serve us.

cuda282 Apr 3rd, 2003 12:37 PM

We've been to various Sandals 8 times in the last 12 years. Never Mobay tho. We stopped going because we felt it slipped in quality from year to year. We've been to Braco twice and found it much more upscale, from food to service, to the patrons. Except for the beach. <BR><BR>Not that you asked but we've been to Riu Palace in Playacar the last two trips and that blew Braco away. Especially the beach.

rdhndds Apr 12th, 2003 03:49 AM

We just did the same thing... Decided to go to Montego Bay to Sandals this time because we only had 4 days this trip and didn't want to spend the time on the road. The airport IS an issue...u are at the end of the runway....the planes are about every 20 to 30 minutes over your head. Just accept that part of it and have a good time regardless. I agree they are steps down but for the money it is still a decent vacation. Ask for room upgrades and you will probably get it.<BR>We love all inclusives too but probably won't do Sandals again unless the value thing is important at the time. This was our fifth resort in Jamaica.<BR>Definitely visit Royal Carribean while u are there.

cecelia Apr 13th, 2003 04:37 PM

cuda282 - I haven't been to RIU Palace, well, I toured it, but stayed at Royal Hideaway. I have heard food and drinks there were not good and that it was a bit unsanitary. I agree, the beaches are way better, esp. RIU's big long wide beach. We love Playacar and find it much nicer than Jamaica, too. I loved Royal Hideaway.<BR>Monique, just enjoy. You will be in the Caribbean. I agree, it is a few steps down, but if you have low expectations you will enjoy. We were at Sandals Grande in Feb. We went b/c we got it at 50% off and could not resist. It exceeded our expectations, but we didn't go expecting much. Did think Royal Hideaway had better food and service. We also think we get better food and service at non-A1's which we usually frequent. But you like A1's and will enjoy.<BR>

cuda282 Apr 16th, 2003 04:42 AM

Cecelia, the RIU palace was absolutely spectacular. They had staff on their hands and knees scrubbing down the tiles at all times of the day. The food was great, not your typical buffet. And the service outstanding. We're pretty much jamaica-ed out. Its mostly a service issue there. Even at the Grand Lidos there was a 50-50 chance your order would come back wrong if it came at all. It didn't happen once to us at the RIU. I can't speak for the other RIUs . We visted them all becasue they wre right next to the Palace. They appeared to be a definite step down.