I am about to book my honeymoon to Barbados

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2005, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my airfare and am about to book my lodging for my October honeymoon.

I am looking at the Reeds House in Barbados as well as some other hotel/villas.

Coral reef club
Bougainvillea beach
Settlers beach hotel
Coral sands resort

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

(My only reservation the Reeds House is the beach. I am nervous it will be too rocky. I really love a sandy beach)

Old Aug 10th, 2005, 09:16 AM

CGleason,
check this site for postings from Lois Swanson ([email protected]). she is THE Barbados expert! As a matter of fact, she just returned from yet another trip to the island. Her knowledge and suggestions are beyond compare, IMHO. Good luck!
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 10:15 AM

If you write me at:
[email protected] I will send you my updated tips as of August. I have write-ups in it about all of the hotels you mention.

Lois
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 04:28 PM

Coral Reef Club is the class act on Barbados. Low-rise bldgs. and cottages, scattered about lovely grounds, calm water beach, wade-in snorkeling. Family-owned and run for some 50 years, and it shows! Fine restaurant, too. The others pale by comparison.
See www.coralreefbarbados.com
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 12:46 PM

I agree with xkenx's assessment. I spent my honeymoon at the Coral Reef Club and thought is was wonderful. The facilities were outstanding and the staff was beyond helpful with things like arranging rental cars, excursions, golf tee times, etc. Congratulaions on the upcoming wedding and good luck.
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 04:20 PM

Another Coral Reef Club honeymoon here. It was wonderful. The owners were so accomodating, arranging water sports, rental jeep with picnic basket, late arrival meal, etc. The food was good; atmosphere was adult and relaxed.
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 01:40 PM

I don't know anything about the coral reef club, but we spent our honeymoon at the Royal Pavillion. I think it has changed hands since we were there 13 years ago. But we had a wonderful honeymoon there. The beach was beautiful, first floor rooms opened right onto the beach. We had a second floor room and really liked it because it had a vaulted ceiling. We had the honeymoon package and the meal plan. I think one of our dinners was $300 but we didn't pay anymore than the cost of the meal plan. The restaurant there, the Palm Terrace, was one of the best on the island. It is an open air restaurant that faces the ocean. We loved having dinner with the sound of the waves in the background.

The resort was extremely helpful and friendly. We had a private limo from the airport to the hotel and then back again. On our way back to the airport our driver gave us a private tour of the island. The ladies on the beach that were braiding hair were so friendly, they were concerned that my fair skin would burn and told me to not be in the sun between 10 and 2. We went in May so we did not have a base tan yet.

One day we asked for a picnic lunch and a rental car. They packed a wonderful lunch. We drove to the east side of the island, to the hotel that is an old castle. There we found a small quiet place on the beach for our picnic.

I also recommend dinner at Shady Lane Resort and Golf course.

I would highly recommend the resort that we were at. It was quiet, adults only. Their sister resort, Glitter Bay, allows children. This resort does not really have much night life, but that was not important to us. The food and service were both exceptional. The pool was simple, but clean. We spent most of our time on the beach instead. Our room was very nice and included a sitting area, fresh flowers, champagne, bathrobes, and balcony facing the ocean. At the time it was all pink on the outside and impressive to drive up to.

Have a wonderful honeymoon whereever you spend it. If you go to the Royal Pavillion I would love to hear about it's current condition, if it is still as wonderful as it was 13 years ago.
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

We just got home Friday from our honeymoon. Barbados was wonderful. We had such a great time. The Bajan people are very friendly. We ended up staying at Reeds House. Absolutely perfect. You have a maid/cook/laundress. We were very impressed by her cooking. The beach there was not rocky at all. There is one area that is roped off because of a reef but aside from that perfect sand. I will absolutely recommend it to everyone. My other piece of advice is to not rent a Mini Moke as your rental car. It was afwul. I don't know what we were thinking.
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 03:20 PM

CGleason,

Thanks for reporting back - so many people don't

It's so nice to hear that you had a wonderful honeymoon but I think we need to hear more about the Mini Moke too dusty?