Husband's 40th Taking Kids

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2006, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First I would like to say hello to all of you. I have read and relied on your posts in the past for many of my travel plans and I have always been pleased. Now here is my post: My husband's 40th is next June and we would like to celebrate on a family vacation for 4 days. We will be bringing our children with us ages 5 and 8. His birthday "pick" for a destination is an island. We live in Florida so why he picked an island I can't say but it is his 40th and the rule is if its your birthday ...you get to pick. I am looking for a higher end hotel (nice rooms) but not Ritz Carlton stuffy. We want a kids program or kids activities to keep the rugrats entertained at least some of the time. Beautiful beaches with snorkeling off the beach for the kids would be great. My husband likes good food and great service. I have considered St. John (worried about the trek to get there), St. Croix (The Buccaneer - is it nice enough?), Aruba Hyatt - has some construction going on) and Turks and Caicos(The Palms). We originally thought about Beaches in T & C but I think it will be a little too much like a Disney World experience and as Floridians we get that enough. It was a good value though $3000 for four of us food and lodging although we are willing to spend more. Last thing - we need a direct flight from Miami (forget BVI, Martinique, Anguilla, Barbados, Antigua - they all connect in Puerto Rico). Any suggestions and/or comments would be appreciated. Thanks so much!
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 02:51 PM

Marriott's Frenchman's Reef/Morningstar might work for you. I know they have babysitters, not sure about kids' programs. There are direct flights from MIA.
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 02:52 PM

Oh, that's St. Thomas, by the way.
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 04:26 PM

Hello, I will be 40 next month. I had hoped to go to Aruba but from NJ it's a long way for a extended weekend. I would suggest it to you from FL. The weather is great. The Radisson or Hyatt both have kids programs and great pools and beaches. Food on the island is among the best. We try and go every year. We stay at the Radisson. There are always deals for both resorts.
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 06:15 PM

My 40th is next Jan. We can't take my b-day trip due to work commitments until May. I chose to rent a villa on the north coast of Jamaica for two weeks. We are bringing the entire family as the villa comes with a housekeeper and a cook. I can't wait!
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 03:34 AM

Many of the Westins have kids clubs. Check out the Westin Casuarina in Grand Cayman, Westin St. John or the new Westin in Aruba (it was the Wyndham but is being renovated as a Westin).

St John is our favorite place for snorkelling. It's worth the hassle of having to take a ferry to get there. You'll need to rent a car to get to the nice beaches. One option is to rent a car at the St Thomas airport and then take the car ferry. It eliminates having to load and unload luggage from the taxi and ferry. You can get some great off-season house rental rates in June which gives you lots of room for the family to spread out but then you don't have a kids club.

Have fun planning your special trip!
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 03:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestions. I looked into the Marriott in St. Thomas - I doesn't look like they have a kids camp which is OK but I do need some organized activities for them. We love Jamaica but have been there and would like to go somewhere new. I think we are leaning towards the Aruba Hyatt ...anyone want to play devil's advocate????
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 03:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks LisaDee I didn't see your response before I posted this morning. We have been to Grand Cayman as well and the rates for the Westin in St. John were insane ...maybe its a little early and they haven't come up with their May rates. I too like Westins for the kids.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 04:36 AM

I was going to recommend Grand Cayman as it is the perfect destination for kids, but noticed that you have been there.So I guess that you do not want to go back?

We have been to Aruba,St John (twice),Kaua'i and Grand Cayman..of these we enjoyed GC the best for the kids.

St John is also a great place for off beach snorkeling and the waters at most beaches are pretty calm.If your kids are happy on the beach all day...St John would be a good choice.

Christie
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 05:10 AM

If you are interested in the Westin, St. John,you might try renting a timeshare from the owners directly (we did). It is more reasonable than what the resort would charge. You can check out these sites:

http://www.vacationtimesharerentals....ands/St.-John/

http://www.stjohncondos.com/

Old Nov 27th, 2006, 03:24 PM

I hope you enjoy Aruba. No doubt my favorite place in the world. If you need any restaurant recommendations please let me know. Must restaurants are Madame Jeanette's (ask for a table outside), Bingo & The Promenade (ask to see if they still offer their appetizer menu on the weekends. You get to sample everything on the menu for a set price.)
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 04:06 PM

What about the Bahamas? More specifically the Westin on Grand Bahama Island? It shares its property with the Sheraton next door which has more of a kid friendly pool. The pools at the Westin are very nice but more adult like (infinity-edge for example).

Old Nov 28th, 2006, 05:15 AM

I don't really have any specific suggestions, but I wanted to mention that you shouldn't discount Barbados from your list, which is reached non-stop from MIA on American Airlines. About a 3 hours flight. You can also reach St. Kitts from Miami non-stop, and from there you could take a ferry over to Nevis--their Four Seasons hotel might suit your needs nicely. Not much snorkeling off the beach there, but they have nice pools, lovely beach, and a kids program. Good food all over the island, which is great for exploring on your own.
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 03:10 PM

Four Seasons Great Exuma looked like it would be nice for kids. They have a "kiddie" pool and seem well outfitted for families. We connected through FLL, but I'm sure you could go through Miami.

We also enjoyed the Four Seasons Nevis.