Hurricaine/snorkeling

Sep 6th, 2005, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

Hurricaine/snorkeling

My boyfriend and I are planning a trip for the second week in October. We are worried about hurricaines...what islands are out of the 'danger zone'. Also all we want is an empty beach and snorkeling. Any advice?
Sep 7th, 2005, 07:58 AM

Basically all Caribbean islands are in the hurricane zone. The southern most islands that are less likely to get a hurricane are Barbados, St. Vincent, The Grenadines, Grenada, Tobago, Trinidad, Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao. Hurricane season is normally June to November. The height of hurricane season is September in the Caribbean, but the further away you get away from that month, such as the end of October towards November the less likely you are to get a hurricane. I have travelled in August, October and November and so far I have never experienced a hurricane, but it is always a gamble.

Good luck with your choice and have a great vacation.
Sep 7th, 2005, 08:08 AM

Onzgo is right on abt the "geography." Remember, though, that Barbados and Aruba don't have good snorkeling. And Bonaire's beaches aren't great. Grenadines may be your best bet (though of course Grenada was hit by a hurricane several years ago-- can't remember what time of year).
Sep 7th, 2005, 08:17 AM

Yes, Grenada was hit by Ivan last year. My recommendation is to get trip insurance and monitor the Weather Channel. There is about a 5-7 day period that you can look and see if it may be heading your way. Even that is not foolproof, but you will have time to leave. The peak of the hurricane season is the next week or so. October has not been a peak time typically.

RL
Sep 7th, 2005, 08:56 AM

Curacao reputedly has some good snorkeling and is considered out of the hurricane belt.
Sep 7th, 2005, 12:54 PM

Aruba Tourism has always promoted Aruba as being outside the hurricane belt, but this report from the Meterological Services of the Netherlands Antilles & Aruba shows otherwise.

http://www.meteo.an/meteo2/eng/repor...tm#climleeward

There was also a hurricane warning out for Aruba last year when Ivan went through, but luckily Ivan missed Aruba, but there was major flooding, some beach errosion and some damage to some hotels, so no matter where you go, it is a gamble in hurricane season and unfortunately Mother Nature likes to throw a curve ball once in awhile.
Sep 7th, 2005, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

Thank you guys very much...I was considering a few of those places! I'm going to have to book it soon...so I appreciate the responses!
Sep 7th, 2005, 06:09 PM

Look into Nevis, West Indies-My husband and I just spent 2 weeks at the Four Season resort there- be prepared to be pampered! I would call the hotel direct and ask for Patricia (Reservation Manager) and ask her what the best deal she can give you during that time...it is there slow season and you may get a gorgeous room for a reasonable price. They don't get hurricanes there often- 2x's in 25years. Not bad...I highly recommend it! It was the perfect destination and all the celebrities go there....it is awesome! There are 2 pools (1 quite pool, 1 family pool-both great sizes), 3 restaurants- all fabulous, rooms are quite spacious (750 sq ft,) beautiful beach too, and the there is such a coziness to the place. The people are so warm and friendly and the grouds are immaculate. I am so happy I descovered this place...you'll love it!

Search this Thread