Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   How's the weather in early Dec. in Turks and Caicos? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/hows-the-weather-in-early-dec-in-turks-and-caicos-233542/)

jay Jun 22nd, 2002 04:57 PM

How's the weather in early Dec. in Turks and Caicos?

Going to Turks and Caicos December 5-12. Can I expect 75 - 80 degree weather? Do you know of any web sites that tell about the weather there?<BR> Thanks

dot Jun 22nd, 2002 06:47 PM

I was there Dec 25 and around the pool at Allegre my chap stick melted in the container. It was very hot but there was a breeze. At night I was glad I had my wool blazer that I wore rather than a coat on the plane coming from the cold northern weather.<BR>The water was warm enough to go in but too cold for me. I was disappointed because i expected it to be warmer. We walked to a snorkeling place and that was fun. The beach was windy so we stayed at the pool a lot which is not usually what we do.<BR>You can definitely expect warm weather but breezy at night. (At least for me. I am usually cold when others are fine!!!!)

Bob Jun 25th, 2002 03:53 AM

I was in T&C during the first week of December last year and the weather was great.<BR><BR>While only Grand Turk in T&C is listed, here's a website that gives monthly summary information (high, low, average, rainfall, etc) http://www.weatherbase.com/

cathy Jun 25th, 2002 09:44 AM

I found it chilly. I stayed from Nov 25 to Dec 3. It was hotter poolside but on the beach the breezes were so cool I sometimes huddled under my towel. The temp. was average 75 degrees. Evenings were cool and we were glad we brought jeans and light sweaters.

Anon Jun 25th, 2002 02:59 PM

I agree with Cathy. We were there the first 2 weeks in Dec. and it was warm, but there was a chill in the air and the nights were really cool. The water was also rougher for snorkeling.

Tom Jun 25th, 2002 07:44 PM

am i hearing correctly that Turks & Caicos is not a place that is warm and you can go swimming etc -- is the climate really that different than St John, BVI, other areas that are supposed to be wonderful weather / water that time of year??

dot Jun 25th, 2002 08:48 PM

I totally agree with Cathy and Anon. I was soooo glad I had my blazer and long pants for evening and it was breezy at he beach. I am a beach lover so was disappointed in the water temp. I did snorkle but had to get used to the water a bit...it wasn't freezing but I prefer warmer. At Allegro I thought the pool water was cold too but sitting around the pool it was hot, sunny, and as I said my chapstick in my beach bag turned to liquid if that is any indication. But I went in the water to cool off and came right out. This was between Christmas and New Year's. Hope that helps. We found we can count on perfect weather in Dec in Aruba. But we did have a good time in Tand C.

John Jun 26th, 2002 03:57 AM

I guess each person sees things differently depending on their circumstances.<BR><BR>I went down in December from Toronto, Canada and thought the weather was great. I swam in the ocean everyday and never wore long pants or a sweater.

mark Jun 26th, 2002 06:34 AM

Checking on the weather in TCI is not easy as it is always perfect. Last Dec was unusuall. The winter temp here is almost over 80, sunny with a slight breeze and almost no chance of rain.

dot Jun 27th, 2002 08:15 PM

sorry I should have said that we were there not last Dec but the Dec before that. (Dec of 2000) And it was very hot during the day and cool at night, and the water temp was cool. I prefer warm water and it seems I was not alone in that for only kids were in pool or ocean for any length of time. Snorkeling was fun but coldish...(not freezing..don't misinterpret, you will be able to enjoy it but I guess I was expecting "walk in warm! I had never been to the Caribbean in the winter before and love the summer water temp!!) Last Dec we were in Aruba and the temp was perfect all around, never a cloud, and warm water.

Anon Jun 28th, 2002 07:36 AM

I'm not saying it wasn't warm enough to swim, but when you got out it was pretty chilly. There was just a certain warmpth lacking that you have in the spring, summer and fall. Bear in mind that T&C are pretty far north and they usually get the same weather pattern Miami gets. So if it's cool in Miami, you're gonna have cool in T&C. We go farther south in the winter and save this one for warmer times.

jay Jun 28th, 2002 01:32 PM

Thanks for all your information. I am not looking for really hot weather. I am traveling with two children and would rather it be a little cooler. As long as it is at least 70 - 75 during the day and doesn't get to bad at night I will be happy. My biggest concern was rain and doesn't seem to rain there in Dec.<BR><BR> Thanks again for all the information.

Anon Jun 28th, 2002 03:42 PM

You should be fine then. Just be sure to take a cover up for the kids. When we got out of the water I was kinda cold. I was glad to have something to wrap around me. <BR>The rain wasn't a problem in Dec., but the water was a little rougher and the seas a little higher but if you aren't planning snorkeling trips this won't be a problem for you either.<BR><BR>Have a great time.....