Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

HowardC & everyone, Anguilla or Turks and Caicos, Never been, thank u!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I fyou have to choose one which island would u go? My husband and I want a beautiful beach with clear calm water, nice accomadations, good gourmet seafood & not too loud resort. He will not drive so we will need to take a taxi. Which resorts would you recommend for us in Anguilla or Turks and Caicos.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 07:57 AM

My husband and I stayed at Cap Juluca in Anguilla a few years ago. The beach was beautiful. We enjoyed our stay and would go back.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 11:31 AM

Will be happy to respond but first when do you plan to go and about how much do you want to spend on accomodations??
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Hi HowardC,
Thank you so much for the quick response. We can spend from $200 to $300 per night. First we need to choose which island and then decide which resort. I can't decide whether we should go to Anguilla or T&C. Which nice resort would you recommend? It doesnot have to be luxurious. We want clean/comfortable matteress, moder room, modern bathromm and nice atmosphere. Thank you.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

HowardC,
We are thinking in Oct for now, but we can go in June, July, August or September. Please advise.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 02:38 PM

Personally, I wouldn't want to go to Anguilla without renting a car. There are too many restaurants and beaches to sample. Driving is not difficult there - unlike many islands. If you want October, I would also go to Anguilla because it will be warmer.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 03:14 PM

Nearly every restaurant & resort in Anguilla is closed during September and October -- hurricane season. They begin to open around November 1 and some don't open until the second week of November.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 06:43 AM

Which island is a tough choice. Have been to both about 18 times and will be on Anguilla in 10 days. They are both coral islands which I think have the best beaches but you will not find and lush tropical forests, waterfalls etc. Grace Bay beach is consistently rated as one of the top beaches in the Caribbean and is awesome. There are about 30+ beaches on Anguilla to explore. Provo is more developed than Anguilla. Excellent restaurants on both islands but the nod has to go to Anguilla. Not much shopping on either but a few more places on Provo. Better snorkeling and water activities on Provo. Little more in the way of entertainment in Anguilla As stated above almost everything shuts down on Anguilla in Sept and Oct. We normally go in Nov. In the summer you get more families as school is out so you have the kid factor. I agree about a rental car. Nothing on either island is within walking distance of anything else. Driving is easy and taxis are expensive. Fewer cars and a little less traffic on Anguilla. Did just read that there is a shuttle bus on Provo Called The Gecko which runs from Beaches to Ocean Club about every 20 min which would make geting around easier. Will check for more details in May. Within your price range would recommend checking out Sibonne on Provo--www.sibonne.com. Very nice small quiet intimate resort. They have a one bedroom apartment with kitchen that is beachfront. Nice deck partially screened part open. Small Pool. Their restaurant Bay Bistro is very good and you can also walk to Hemmingways restaurant at the Sands. Provo does not shut down in Sept and Oct but keep in mind it is still hurricane season. I would look at end of Oct early Nov. The apt is about $300/day including tax and service charge
On Anguilla I would check out Frangipani. We always stay there. Again small quiet and intimate. Only eight condo suites--www.frangipani.ai.
The 7 night Sun Sea and Sand package is the best deal. You get a large one bedroom condo suite with kitchen and a continental breakfast buffet Price including tax and service charge is about $1900. Great deal for what you get. You might consider going the first week in August for carnival which is fun--Parades, boat races etc.. Frangipani is very popular. People book a year in advance so if you decide on Anguilla don't wait too long. Nice restaurant at Frangipani and very nice pool. Meads Bay beach is about a mile long and quite deserted.

Good source of info on Provo is www.wherewhenhow.com the on line magazine of the Turks and Caicos. For Anguilla check out www.news.ai and www.anguillaguide.com--(on the right click on screen savers and check out the Beaches screen saver).
The caribbean-on-line.com anguilla forum is very active and you might check it out

Old Feb 4th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

HowardC and all,

Many thanks to your reponse and great advise.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

HowardC,
If you have to choose one, which resort would you choose since you have been to Anguilla so many times. Mali has a package for 4 nights include tax BK and dinner each night for $2100. Cap has a package for $2553 include BK and dinner. Like you said, Frangi has a sunsea package for 7 nights about $1900.00. We will be using FF miles with AA therefore we will stop in Puerto Rico and stay for 1 or 2 nights. Do you think 4 nights is too short In Anguilla? Thank you.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 01:28 PM

Would prefer to take this off line. You can e-mail me at [email protected]
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 04:47 AM
KXR

Scammers always go offline. hmmmmmm

Old Feb 5th, 2005, 05:20 AM

Hardly a scammer. Don't believe in posting negative comments on Forums
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 05:25 AM
KXR

Honest negative comments is welcome. Visitors need to know the advantages and disadvantages, otherwise, these forums are misleading if everybody just write niceties. JUst use tact and diplomacy and both sides of an issues can be related. Anyway, I would advise people to read more than one forum

Old Feb 5th, 2005, 05:26 AM

If you think Howard is a scammer then you clearly haven't been reading many posts on this forum, or haven't been here very long. The poster is quite knowledgable about Anguilla and T&C.
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 10:00 AM

I'll have to stick up for HowardC as well. He has generously shared his advice and comments on these boards for a long time. I have been to Anguilla 3 times and therefore am fairly familiar with the island and I think his advice is spot on.
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 11:00 AM

To KXR--I have established my own criteria and rationale for what I choose to post on quite a few forums and it does not include negativity which can eventually affect many peoples livelyhoods. Years ago one Anguilla forum was terminated because of all the negativity and vitriolic comments that actually impacted the islands tourism. I will not be a party to that. I find it interesting that you chose to label me as a scammer even though you don't have the foggiest idea who I am or obviously what I have posted in the past. I have recommended places in Provo and Anguilla to hundreds of people over the years both on and off line and never had any negative feedback. My ultimate aim is to provide people with info that will help make their vacation an unforgetable experience.

To EJ and Sharona--Thanks for your support. Have been accused of much worse but have broad shoulders. Barbuda and Anguilla trip report coming up the end of Feb
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 11:07 AM

Looking forward to your next trip report, Howard. Your advice last year was very helpful when we visited Provo. I'm another Frangipani fan, btw - I would recommend that for anyone.

-Noreen
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Hi HowardC,

Thank you and I will be sending an email to you soon. Howard is not a SCAMMER. I have read most of Howard's response on the website and I feel very lucky to have his advise.
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 01:31 AM
KXR

Last comment on this topic. Go back and read my statement and you will see I clearly did not called Howard a scammer. However, I will repeat scammers always go offline.

Those who terminated forums because of negativity succumbed to pressure. Anyone can create or design a forum. Thanks to democracy. I would rather hear honest comments whether it is good or bad. We all know what people say about Jamaica. I don't see them terminating anything.

Contrary to perceived belief, the livelihoood of caribbean islands are not based on tourism alone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -