Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   how/where do you store passport when you travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/how-where-do-you-store-passport-when-you-travel-579153/)

jamaicamecrazy Jan 5th, 2006 05:03 PM

how/where do you store passport when you travel

DH and I, and baby are off for a winter getaway in January. We will be in the Caribbean, and I am really leery of leaving our valuable passports in the room safe.

Last time we did this, mind you not with pasports, but birth certificates and driver's licenses, the hotel staff got into our safe, saying the opened the wrong room's safe. eek! And this was a four star resort, I might add.

Needless to say, I want to know what others do to safeguard these types of documents in these dangerous times... esp. since we plan to spend a great deal of time in or near the water/beach.

TIA

joanie433 Jan 5th, 2006 07:00 PM

Always have a copy of the front page of the passport and keep it in a different location than the passport itself.

virginia Jan 6th, 2006 02:20 AM

hi, i really found this question to be a stumper. i have always trusted the safety of the room safe. have been to several places that say i have the ONLY key and if lost will require drilling at my cost which seems reliable. but the idea of the copy page seems good. joanie have you ever had this work for you???

JeanH Jan 6th, 2006 03:47 AM

I use the room safe. In places where there is no safe, I 'bury' it among my clothes. We've been known to stay in places that have no locks on the doors, let alone room safes.

Statia Jan 6th, 2006 04:00 AM

We do the same as JeanH.

Lisa1271 Jan 6th, 2006 04:21 AM

If you really don't trust the room safe see if the resort has safety boxes at the desk. They will cost extra, but to have a relaxed holiday, it may be worth the extra $$. Also, make copies of the rom page; one for your pursa and leave one at home with someone that could forward it to you in case of an emergency.
LisaS

caribtraveler Jan 6th, 2006 04:58 AM

We use the room safe or safety boxes at front desk but always keep copies on us.
I used to carry them wherever we went until one time we were at our hotel pool and I noticed 2 guys standing a few feet away looking at us. They were so out of place. Red flag. I discreetly told my husband and we walked back to our chairs (and the bag). The possibilities of having lost our passports in a foreign country (Mexico) with a toddler in tow was not a pleasant thought.

ejcrowe Jan 6th, 2006 05:04 AM

Hmmm, maybe I'm too cavalier about my passport, but I seldom stay in a place with room safes and usually leave it in my carry-on bag tucked in the closet. I do always make two copies of the pertinent info before leaving home, though. One copy stays at home with whomever is housesitting for our pets and the other I keep rather carelessly in the hotel room.