How to get to Martinique?

Jul 3rd, 2002, 10:46 AM
mel

How to get to Martinique?

Considering a trip to Martinique in January. How can I get there easily from NYC? I can't find an airline that goes there.. Is it worth the trip? I'm looking for an island that has a great downtown and Caribbean feel to it... Should we stay at Bakoua?
Help!!

Jul 3rd, 2002, 07:54 PM
Chris

I haven't heard great stories about Martinique but I just got back from the Marriott Frenchmens Reef in St. Thomas,V.I., and loved it. Easy to get and a good value. It is probably one of the prettiest resorts on the island and the views are fantastic.You would have no problems with flights and I believe there are direct flights out of NYC if you are interested.

Jul 4th, 2002, 09:07 AM
Dave

Several years ago we flew directly with a charter from JFK to Martinique with Club ABC. Stayed at Bakoua. It was OK, not great. We had a car and drove from the northern tip of the island to the southern tip, a trip of about 2 hours. Bakoua is in the middle. It is probably worth a week if you can get there directly.

I just checked with clubabc.com and applevacations.com, and neither have trips there at present. You might check with them to see if they will offer a charter in the winter. Bakoua is probably the best hotel, and you might check with them if they know of any deals.

Also, club med has a flight there, but goes through Miami.

We enjoyed St. Martin more.

Jul 4th, 2002, 01:28 PM
Professional Traveler

You can get there with American, Continental and USAir, all of which connect in Santo Domingo with Air Caraibes. BWIA has connections through Port of Spain with Air France. United and American have connections in Miami with Air France. Plus there are a lot of double connection routes. Try any of the above first, noting that not every airline runs the same route each day.

Jul 5th, 2002, 02:06 AM
Joelle

We stayed at the Bakoua hotel in 99 and it was not really great. Too expensive for what they offer in terms of comfort and service.

Jul 5th, 2002, 01:18 PM
Mel

Thanks for all the info and insight on martinique...I think I'll start re-thinking my plans.

Sep 16th, 2002, 06:39 AM
Susan Z

I went to Guadeloupe last year and am going to Martinique next week.
For me, coming from the Midwest, it is simplest to fly Air France out of Miami. There are only morning flights so you need to overnight in Miami. Air France always stops in Haiti for about and hour but all flights do not stop in Guadeloupe before going to Martinique. The Air France web site will help you locate the shorter flights. Booking is through Air France but the plane itself will be Air Cairibe.

Sep 16th, 2002, 07:40 AM
Kris

I'll add a not-so-great vote to Martinique, though it was worth going to once I suppose. The food was great, but the beaches and accommodations not as good as Guadeloupe or St. Barths. Both of these islands are definitely French-feeling - as for Caribbean, Guadeloupe much more so than St. Barths. We've been to both of those twice and would go back to either in a heartbeat, but will not go back to Martinique (or St. Martin). Hope that's helpful.

Sep 16th, 2002, 09:44 AM
Michelle

Hi Mel, My fiance and I went to Martinique about 3 years ago and were really disappointed with the beaches. The water is not the crystal clear blue of other islands (like St. John, which we LOVED). We stayed at the Bakoua and were EXTREMELY disappointed! What a mess! Terrible service, inadequate rooms,ugly beach and bad food. I would NOT recommend Martinique at all. There are sooo many other islands that are much better.