Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   How to get to Antigua from Boston? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/how-to-get-to-antigua-from-boston-380095/)

Lisager15 Jun 16th, 2008 05:31 PM

How to get to Antigua from Boston?

I have just returned from my trip to Antigua and I'm looking to book for next year. Does anyone know what is going on with American Airlines? I'm having a really difficult time getting flights that work from Boston. . . looking to travel late March to early April. It appears as though they have cut back flights dramatically for next year.

Callaloo Jun 17th, 2008 03:10 AM

With the exception of JFK, MIA, ORD and DFW, American has dropped its direct flights from the US mainland to SJU, which is the gateway for most U.S. travelers to Antigua. That means at least a 3-hop journey to most destinations in the Caribbean. I'm in the same bind you're in, coming from the DC market and thinking about Nevis for next winter. Other airlines are cutting back as well.

Rumor has it that American will add back some capacity to SJU as people start buying their trips for 2009, but I wouldn't hold my breath. In any event, I suspect those flights will be substantially more expensive -- though I also suspect that AA had been selling many tickets well below cost. It might be time to start exploring some of the regional carriers in the Caribbean, a thought that makes me shudder. But I'm just dedicated enough to try it if necessary....

Lizzie518 Jun 17th, 2008 03:46 AM

Ditto.....can't seem to find a decent flight to Anguilla for a decent price.

chgeeb Jun 17th, 2008 05:22 AM

Lisager,
just wanted to say thank you as I am from Boston and looking for the same thing for next year! Just different time frame...
I've never been to Antigua,
can you recommend nice places to stay? Nothing extremely pricey, but just nice and good location! Thanks!

-chgeeb

ejcrowe Jun 17th, 2008 09:37 AM

Bradley airport (BDL) serving Hartford, CT, still has a daily flight to SJU in the early morning--usually around 7:00 am, which arrives in SJU with enough time to make most connecting flights to the rest of the Caribbean. Y'all could consider overnighting near the airport with one of their sleep/park/fly packages.

Where did you go in Antigua?

cw Jun 17th, 2008 10:25 AM

There is still a daily flight from Boston to San Juan. I quick look at next year has flights from Boston through Miami or San Juan to Antigua, getting there and back (through Miami) in one day.

Lisager15 Jun 17th, 2008 12:47 PM

Thanks everyone. Just back from Galley Bay. This is our 4th visit to Antigua, 3x at Galley and 1x at Hermitage. Galley has changed dramatically as it is now at 100 rooms. Looking to go back to Hermitage for the intimate setting and privacy although I'm not sure about the flights given what I have learned, ugh. Just checked availability at The Meridian Club and can get a decent flight on AA with one stop. . . may need to go back to Pine Cay which is not a bad alternative!!