Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   How to book a flight into St. Bart ? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/how-to-book-a-flight-into-st-bart-240069/)

A Jul 16th, 2002 08:49 AM

How to book a flight into St. Bart ?

Hello Everyone !<BR>I wanted to check out rates for flights into St. Bart but both Travelocity and Epedia say they don't have flights to St. Bart. <BR>What am I supposed to do here ? Help.

Anon Jul 16th, 2002 09:09 AM

Flying into St.B's is a real treat. You can only go on a small plane, the landing is quite dramatic and the runway quite short. One of the favorite pastimes on the island is watching the planes land.

a Jul 16th, 2002 09:28 AM

Thanks and I'm sure that's really something. I've read a few threads about the planes landing on St. Bart.<BR><BR>But what I wanted to know is if there is<BR>a way to check flight rates via the internet. <BR>

Lisi Jul 16th, 2002 09:42 AM

The largest plane that St Barth can accomodate is about a 20 seater. You can fly a major airline into St Martin and then a puddle jumper into St Barth. Expect that leg to cost you about $100 pp round trip.<BR>You can also ferry from St Martin.

David Jul 16th, 2002 09:43 AM

From www.st-barths.com:<BR><BR>The principal gateway to St. Barths is through Juliana Airport in nearby Dutch St.Maarten, where flights arrive daily from both the USA and Europe. International carriers arriving at Juliana include American Airlines, Continental Airlines and US Air from the USA, and Air France, Corsair and KLM from Europe. <BR><BR> From St. Maarten, Windward Island Airways, Air Cara&iuml;bes, and St-Barth Commuter, make the ten minute shuttle flights to St. Barths. <BR><BR> Air France and Corsair also fly regularly from France to Guadeloupe. <BR><BR> From Guadeloupe, Air Cara&iuml;bes offers a few direct flights to St. Barths (45 minutes) and others via St-Martin departing at times meant to accommodate the arrival of the bigger planes from France. Air Cara&iuml;bes also has sereral flights a week between San Juan and St. Barths via St. Martin. <BR><BR> IOperating from St. Thomas, Air St. Thomas provides scheduled service to and from St. Thomas, San Juan and Virgin Gorda depending upon demand. <BR><BR> Locally based charter flights are also available.

SBlover Jul 16th, 2002 09:58 AM

Use Winnair (or Winward Island Airways) from St. Martin to St. Bart's. It's the most reliable airline for the short flight.

Mary Jul 16th, 2002 10:21 AM

The last time I went to St. Bart's, I was able to book it thru Travelocity (this was just over a year ago). It was booked on Air St Barthelemy (I'm looking at the Travelocity e-ticket from my files right now). Are you putting in SXM as the airport from which you're leaving?

erin Jul 16th, 2002 11:05 AM

Winnair is awful. We had to spend the night in st martin because of them.. hardly reliable. Air st Thomas is much better. You can even charter through them.

erin Jul 16th, 2002 11:39 AM

Winnair is awful. We had to spend the night in st martin because of them.. hardly reliable. Air st Thomas is much better. You can even charter through them.

Caribbeanlover Jul 16th, 2002 04:25 PM

Sorry, Erin but Air St. Thomas has a terrible reputation. All of the smaller Caribbean island airlines can be unreliable but Winnair generally is the most highly recommended airline for inter-island hopping.

erin Jul 17th, 2002 11:57 AM

Sorry to Carribean lover<BR>we've been to St barth's many times and always take air st thomas. Never had a problem. The only problem we've had has been on Winair.

Gayle Jul 17th, 2002 12:06 PM

We've flown them all (we go once or twice every years for the last 16 yrs) and they all have problems now and again. Our preference is Winnair (best of the worst) because they have more planes than the others which helps when one has a mechanical problem. Air Caraibes is actually now owned by Winnair, though you'd never know as they're one of the flakiest.

a Jul 17th, 2002 09:27 PM

Thanks everyone. <BR>