I am going to the Dominican Republic this summer on a volunteer program. I will be living and eating with other interns so my question is more about daily life. How safe is it to walk around in the city areas? Are there certain precautions that I need to take, especially as a woman? I speak Spanish, not like a native but pretty well, so just wondering how that would impact my time there. I don't know if this is going to make any difference but, I am Indian and in Mexico (where I was for 3 months), the locals mistook me for Mexican so I didn't really have that much trouble acclimatizing with the country. Any thoughts on how that could translate into the DR point of view?
Any suggestions, advice, tips, places to see, things to do, precautions to take, etc will be much appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 HUSHMAIL 1800:681:7208 Password Reset CONTACT HUSHMAIL Tec*h 24*7
- 2 Spring Trip with 7 & 5 y/o
- 3 Moving... Crohn's disease?
- 4 SWIMMING AND FOOD...WHICH ISLAND TO CHOOSE?
- 5 Christmas vacation
- 6 Southern Caribbean Getaway Advice
- 7 Aruba All Inclusive vs. Not
- 8 NYE in Punta Cana
- 9 Chacchoben Ruins, The Real Thing?
- 10 Bicycle Ride in Ocho Rios
- 11 st.thomas vs st. croix
- 12 Favorites and Must-dos in St. Lucia
- 13 Abaco day trips
- 14 BEWARE of TU Bahamas Rentals
- 15 Caneel Bay in St. John?
- 16 Staniel Cay surrounds - end of year
- 17 Yoga & Surf vacation for my family
- 18 St Croix at Christmas with small children
- 19 Grand Cayman Beaches
- 20 Barbados Cruise to Airport
- 21 New EasyBreathe Snorkel Mask
- 22 sailing the Abacos
- 23 Grace Bay after hurricane
- 24 Private secluded Carribean Cottage
- 25 Advise for first timers to St.Lucia