Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

How's the beach at the Wyndham Rio Del Mar Resort?

Old Nov 18th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

We're taking a very short family trip to Puerto Rico over the holidays with our older teens. I booked us into the Wyndham, but have been reading very mixed online reports about the beach there. Some people say its gorgeous, others report that it's dirty and full of glass and cigarette butts (YUCK!). I'd really appreciate hearing from anyone who's been recently. Thanks!
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 05:38 AM

The beach at the Rio Mar is actually very nice and usually has nice rolling waves to play in. In my experience, the hotel staff always does a great job of keeping the beach clean, but if they've had a big party the night before, it may have been a case that they hadn't had a chance to clean it up! It really is gorgeous and there is a quiet stretch directly to the left of the hotel that you can walk that is pristine, I find sand dollars there all the time! Have a great time!
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 06:28 AM

Weadles:
Not as recent but have being staying there for the past 3 years in a row and agree 100% with above poster, it is a really nice beach and great for walking. Enjoy your time the Rio Mar is a really rice place to stay.
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your replies! Now I'm getting excited about the trip! Any recommendations for local restaurants outside the hotel? Thanks again...
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 01:44 PM

Dining off property is a great idea as the resort restaurants can be quite pricey, especially with teens!
Here are a few of my faves -

The Luquillo Kioskos (2 miles from the main intersection of the Rio Mar)are a stretch of 60 connected buildings, each one owned separately and there are many great choices here. #2 La Parilla serves great local specialties. #9 Conga's also serves local specialties, great mofongo. #12 El Jefe Burger Shack serves awesome chuck steak burgers, fish and chicken in a really cool atmosphere. Go for lunch and sit on the back patio for a beach view. #38 Ceviche Hut, the guy that owns the place is Peruvian but has lived in Puerto Rico most of his life, really good ceviche! These are are full service sit down restaurants but they are casual and very affordable.
Las Vegas- located on the way to the rainforest. A little more formal but they have great food, especially their fish.
Antojito's- at the main intersection where you turn to go to the Rio Mar. Nice patio dining and good local food.
Richie's- Located just above the Rio Mar. Spectacular views of the area but a bit pricey. If you go, visit during the day.
Hope that helps, enjoy your stay.
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

prinsider, Thank you very much for the great recommendations! I am looking forward to trying most of them!

A last question- did you go on the Biobay trip? If so, any particular company to recommend? Thanks!!
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 04:07 PM

We stayed at the hotel when it was a Westin in November 2006.
The beach was fine. Relatively dark sand and the waves were good for body surfing.
We found many live sand dollars in the sea and this was the first time I'd seen them alive.

We liked the bakery that was at the intersection where you turn off and La Parilla at Luquillo.
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 05:29 AM

No, I have not done a bio bay trip yet myself, but my in-laws went last month to the one in Vieques. They RAVED about it. It costs a little more than the one in Fajardo, but they said it was well worth it. The company that runs the boat is East Island Excursions. You take a fast cat over to the bio bay and it includes dinner, they even got to swim, which you can't do in Fajardo. Enjoy!
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, sassy cat for the info about the bakery near the hotel. I'm sure we'll enjoy it!

And prinsider, Thank you very much for suggesting the Bio Bay trip out of Vieques. My kids wanted a chance to swim in the bay, so I appreciate the recommendation!
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 05:41 AM

Weadles, we've also taken the trip with Island Adventures to the biobay in Vieques and loved it.
We're going again next month and my kids (18 and 11) are both looking forward to making 'diamond angels' in the bay (like snow angels but the water sparkles)!
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

sassycat,

See you on the boat Dec. 30th? How funny!! Glad to hear you liked it so much that you're going again. HOw long do you actually have to swim in the bay?
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 09:51 AM

Hi Weadles,

I think they do 2 boats a night so we might miss you as I think we're on the early boat before dinner.

Last time we went we were in the water for about 20-30 mins I think. (Definitely didn't feel rushed.)
We also swam under the boat where it's completely dark.
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Hi sassy cat,

Is it possible to take the ferry over from the mainland in time for the earlier boat? We'd much prefer to skip the dinner since those are usually not so great. Just unsure how we'd get back to the Wyndham. HELP! Thanks!!
Old Nov 22nd, 2008, 01:59 PM

There's no return ferry at night so unless you want to spend a night on Vieques your only option is the tour from the mainland.