How recovered from Ivan is Grand Cayman?

Old Nov 5th, 2006, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

How recovered from Ivan is Grand Cayman?

I am planning on going back to GC over Christmas break after a 22 year haitus. I know the island is "all grown up now" but I am concerned about true condition of the beaches and hotels a year after hurricane Ivan.

Compare the brochure shots:
http://londonhouse.ky/tours/images-thegrounds.php

With after photos from a year ago:
http://groups.msn.com/CaymanAfterIvan/londonhouse.msnw

Anyone been to north Seven Mile beach in the past few months? Is the island recovered enough to be an enjoyable, albeit super expensive, holiday get away?

Thank you Fodorites! You always come through for me!
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 02:34 PM

Hmm... tried the search function ? (this question comes up again and again)

Just today I drove around the island all day taking insurance brokers for a tour of group properties... and they kept saying how amazed they were at how the island has come back.

To answer your question.... yes, the island is definitely recovered enough to be an enjoyable vacation spot... there are in fact many new developments in the last two years since Ivan, as well as the rebuilding of existing properties
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 07:14 PM
anonxx

We stayed at the London House a few years ago, shortly before Ivan, and enjoyed it. Last year, post Ivan, we walked around the property to see what it was like. It seemed to have been all rebuilt and the beach was as nice as ever, however I think that the "hammock house" was gone. We have been to Grand Cayman twice since Ivan and both times had a wonderful time.

Old Nov 8th, 2006, 12:24 PM

We have been there before and after Ivan [this past February]...if you've never been and didn't know, you'd have no idea, really. There are some spots that look like construction spots on other islands if that makes sense. It's beautiful, snorkeling is still fabulous, those that went with us said the scuba was still excellent, food is outstanding.

We stayed on 7mb.

Trish
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 08:06 AM

we want to take our teenagers to Grand Cayman in the spring. my husband & i have been there twice, but its now been 10 yrs. since our last visit. we love 7 mile beach..considering the teens we are taking, marriott or westin hotels? which is best. both look to have great beach access. our prior visits were at La Covia condos but this time i would like a hotel. thanks! K