Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

How prevalent was topless sunbathing at the resort/hotel you stayed in? - honeymoon suggestions please

How prevalent was topless sunbathing at the resort/hotel you stayed in? - honeymoon suggestions please

Jan 10th, 2004, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

Hello from the UK. I hope you may be able to help? I am posting this thread on behalf of friends who do not have access to the internet at home. They are planning their honeymoon and UK wedding and are looking for hotel and island suggestions. Their budget is flexible but one particular requirement is not: A high priority for the bride-to-be is to find a hotel where topless sunbathing is NOT permitted, or not practised. Can you recommend a hotel where topless bathing will not be an issue for the bride - or let us know any to avoid.
On a more general note my friends want to find a scenic island where there is plenty to do off resort (sightseeing/organised trips etc) as well as local restaurants/bars shops. Other than numerous European/Mediterranean destinations I've only visited Antigua, Barbados the Dominican Republic (and Mauritius) myself so my experience of the Caribbean is too limited to be of much help. St John, the Caymans and Grenada seem popular choices, Aruba sounds perhaps too much of a party island for their tastes. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Jan 10th, 2004, 05:22 PM

As a general rule, the former British colonies are significantly less tolerant of topless etc., than are the former French and Dutch islands. That rules out Guadeloupe, Martinique, St. Martin and so forth.

Places like Barbados, Grenada, St. Vincent, Bermuda, Bahamas, BVI and USVI are likely to be more suitable.

My vote, in this instance, would be Barbados provided they are prepared to pay the price to stay on the West Coast. Otherwise, Grenada has lots of wonderful options.

My personal preference is SVG but it is not for honeymooners, unless they are adventurous and would enjoy ecotourism.
Jan 10th, 2004, 05:46 PM

If the bride is really gonna go off on seeing a topless person than she should avoid the Carribean all together. If there are Europeans vacationing at the resort than there will be topless.
My only suggestion would be a resort in the USA mainland or Hawaii where such things are never seen.
I see a groom with a problem and wish him the best.
Jan 10th, 2004, 07:35 PM

I stayed at the Marriott in Aruba and found it to be rather quiet and relaxed. No "partiers" at any places I visited during the month of March. I didn't notice any topless or bottomless (darn) sunbathers but I was only on the hotel's beach.
Jan 10th, 2004, 07:38 PM

PS, I see nothing wrong with a bride that wants to have all eyes on her during their honeymoon. After all, it is her time to shine as a new wife. Best wishes
Jan 10th, 2004, 11:57 PM

If she really wants to avoid topless then I would advise against Aruba. An island I would recommend is Anguilla (Cap Juluca?), I think topless sunbathing is frowned upon there. We have been to both islands many times, and I have never seen anybody topless on Anguilla, but there's lots of topless sunbathing on Aruba. Generally, I would avoid the 'Dutch' islands (ABC islands, and St. Maarten) and the 'French' islands (St. Martin, St. Barts, Guadeloupe, Martinique).
Hope this helps.
Jan 11th, 2004, 05:34 AM

My experience is that if a hotel allows it they have a specific area, which you can avoid if you like, if not, then it is mostly European guests as it is not out of the ordinary where they come from. Inquire as to whether or not your hotel of choice has a large European clientele and what season that is if any. Even of the hotel doesn't allow it, you will see them doing it.
Jan 11th, 2004, 05:49 AM

Haha dmotl. That's the thought I had also, but it's her preference, so I guess we should try to come up with a solution...

Hmmm. This is a toughie. I've seen topless at almost all of the Caribbean islands I've been to, but we like to find the less crowded beaches, and those tend to have more toplessness than others.

I did see women topless on Anguilla when we were there, but it was off-season and pretty quiet.

The islands I saw the least of it on were Antigua, Grenada, Nevis and the USVI's.

It's funny, when I first started going to the Caribbean, you could not have gotten me out of my swimsuit top in a miilion years, but after vacationing there for 12+ years, if I can find a remote spot on an island where it is acceptable, I have no probelm with it now. Must be the cumulative effect of all those rum punches!
Jan 11th, 2004, 07:35 AM

Or Diana, you're getting less modest with age. Years ago, when we went to St. Martin, I went topless. Thanksfully one day I decided to keep my top on, and that was the day we bumped into friends of my husband's parents. (this was before we were married) And the funniest thing is this couple was at out wedding.

I can't even imagine how embarrased I would have been.
Jan 11th, 2004, 09:08 AM

Oh dear meta. That could have been rawther awkward.

I'm sure running into someone you know would make it lose its charm quickly!

Of course, it could have been the day your husband's parent's friend's wife kept her top on too!
Jan 11th, 2004, 09:44 AM

Your friends might want to check into Tobago. I've been there five times and have never seen anyone topless. At least 80 percent of the visitors to Tobago are Brits.
However, Tobago doesn't have a lot of shopping and nightlife, but it's very scenic and less touristed than islands like Barbados, St. Martin, etc.
Jan 11th, 2004, 09:51 AM

You will toplessness in Aruba. The Jamaica Grande in Ocho Rios may be a good bet. It is a family oriented resort and I have never seen it there in 3 visits, nor in the Bahamas.
Jan 11th, 2004, 11:39 AM

Diana, I had never met those people before. What an introduction that would have been. I don't think I would have ever lived it down. What I did notice at St. Martin, is some people go topless and others don't. As previously stated, it's usually the Europeans.

Jan 12th, 2004, 06:22 AM

On two of my three visits to Antigua I saw some women sunbathing and walking the beach topless (aside from the lovely clothing optional beach on the west coast, that is). The only two places I never saw any toplessness were Cobbler's Cove on Barbados and Jalousie Plantation on St. Lucia. During my stay at each place there was a predominantly British clientele, so that might have had something to do with it. Both are lovely places, and though Cobbler's seems to be of a higher order (Especially food-wise), I think it would hard to go wrong with a honeymoon at Jalousie. It's hands down the most stunning real estate I've ever seen. The privacy afforded by the villas and villa suite with their private plunge pools would be perfect for a honeymoon.

Another suggestion would be to have your friends look into Hawksbill on Antigua. Lots of Brits rave about it on line (I stayed there once and would recommend it also). It has four beaches, one of which is clothing optional. That means that on the other three beaches there is absolutely NO topless sunbathing, and as the Clothing Optional beach is quite a hike from the others, your friends would be "safe" from it. The other three beaches are beautiful white sand and on a clear day you can see Nevis, St. Kitts, and Montserrat in the distance.
Jan 12th, 2004, 06:45 AM

Hi, the island of viegues off Puerto Rico and mostly all Puerto Rico is pretty much a safe bet not to see anyone topless.