Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   How much time in St. John vs. St. Thomas? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/how-much-time-in-st-john-vs-st-thomas-582455/)

ginabee Jan 17th, 2006 06:35 AM

How much time in St. John vs. St. Thomas?

We are planning to spend 8 days in the US Virgin islands. Already have 5 days booked at the Westin St. John using points and trying to figure out what to do with the extra 3 days.

Which would you recommend?

1) Pay cash ($479 per night) to stay an extra 2 nights in St. John (they are booked the third night). Get a cheaper room near the St. Thomas airport the final night.

2) Reserve 2-3 nights in St. Thomas at a slightly nicer place - Secret Harbour Beach resort, for example (Marriott is booked full).

Do you think it'd be a miss to not spend a few days in St. Thomas? We basically just want a great pool and a place to relax... not looking to do major shopping/clubbing, though we always enjoy nice dinners out.

J62 Jan 17th, 2006 06:57 AM

After staying on St. John, you will be disappointed if you move to St. Thomas for a few nights. More crowded, beaches aren't as nice, greater distances, etc.

Yes, you will find a wider range of shops and restaurants on St. Thomas, but as you say they aren't important to you.

I would stay the extra nights on St. John.

Becca Jan 17th, 2006 09:33 AM

I've stayed on St. John several times, and spent time on St. Thomas (without spending the night). When I spend time on St. Thomas, I am so thankful that I opted to stay on St. John instead of St. Thomas. St. Thomas is the place to go if you want to shop for "cruise ship" type goods - jewelry, perfume, electronics. Other than that, St. Thomas doesn't have much to offer, in my opinion. I think the shopping is much better on St. John with its cute boutiques. The beaches on St. John are definitely better and less crowded than St. Thomas. The restaurants are really good on St. John, too. Just visit St. Thomas for a few hours before you have to be at the airport for the return trip home - or even take the fery over there for a few hours during the middle of your stay on St. John. While on St. John, I've stayed at the Westin, Caneel Bay and in a villa. For the last three nights, why don't you treat yourself and stay at Caneel Bay? The beaches at Caneel Bay are wonderful! The lower category rooms won't be more than what you were quoted for the Westin - $479/night.

ginabee Jan 17th, 2006 10:38 AM

Thanks for the responses. We're now planning to do at least 7 of 8 nights on St. John.

Unfortunately, no bargains to be had on the island while we are there. Caneel Bay is $625 per night!!

Ali25 Jan 17th, 2006 01:51 PM

Which is absolutely crazy! Even the Westin has become so expensive that most people can't stay there anymore. It's become cheaper to rent a villa on St John for a week!

droolpatrol Jan 18th, 2006 06:28 AM

Why don't you try your last few nights at a place on White Bay in Jost Van Dyke (one of the BVIs). My husband and I stayed at the Sandcastle there a few years ago. It was divine. Even less crowded than St. John. You will be able to get a ferry or splurge for a water taxi back to St. Thomas when it's time to go home.

virginia Jan 18th, 2006 07:31 AM

droolpatrol (what a name -lol) has an excellent suggestion. sandcastles would be perfect for those 3 days. the beach is nice and you could hang out at the soggy dollar bar of painkiller reknown and find some more great snorkeling. most expensive is 2rm beachfront cottage for $275. you will need your passport but i'm assuming you have them.
check them out at sandcastle-bvi.com
i actually like st. thomas, unlike many on this board, but think that if you were going to do st.t and st.j do st.t first so you can return home more relaxed....

ginabee Jan 18th, 2006 07:45 AM

What a great thought... I looked at the Sandcastle, it looks great! Is there a ferry that goes directly from St. John to that island?

brenandg Jan 18th, 2006 02:57 PM

There is a ferry which runs Fri, Sat, and Sun only To Jost Van Dyke from St John. Cost is $40pp round trip. It also leaves from Red Hook STT.