How much money to take to Jamaica?

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 03:27 AM
Laura

How much money to take to Jamaica?

My fiance and I will be honeymooning at Sandals Montego Bay in about two weeks. How much money should we take with us? We will probably leave the resort once or twice during the week. Also, how much is the departure tax at the airport? Thanks for your help!

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 03:40 AM
tivertonhouse

Depends entirely on what you do and where you go...<BR>Recommend hiring a taxi and going to dinner at ROUND HILL, MoBay. Dinner prices on island about the same as for any city and run the gamut;better restaurants run about US$30 entree and up. The small boutique restaurant TAPAS is another good choice. MARGUERITAVILLE or THE PIER if you party-hearty. Hiring a private guide/driver for a day runs about US$150-180 including attraction fees and lunch, depending again if you go horseback riding through citrus plantations, touring the great houses, snorkeling or going out into the country , to Negril or the South Coast for the day. Take some souvenir money:coffeebeans, spices,jerk sauces,art -- US$200 should do you unless you buy a serious painting (See gallery of west indian art in downtown MoBay and also online for a good sourcez). Bring US ones and fives for tips. Departure taxes float around US$28-30 per person/US or JA funds only so stash away the cash.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 06:10 AM
anon

It's impossible for anyone to tell you how much money to take! We don't know what you plan to do and how much junk you plan to buy to take home, are you spendthrifts, are you tightwads etc....I always take at least $500 more than I think I'll need. Travelers checks are free and easily put back in the bank when you get home. I'd hate to have an emergency and not have any cash.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 03:42 PM
Kim

We just returned from that resort and loved it. we also can not tell you how much money to take but if you plan is only to do some gift buying it does not take much. Everything is included for you a the resort so no money is needed there. Outside excursions are quite costly but you can limit them if your budget is small. We take about $1000 but usually bring back about $600. Departure tax is $28.00 per person. Good advise take alot of singles for tipping and only give then 2-3 dollars. Have room in your suitecase Im not very big.