Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

How long does it take to feel better from drinking bad water??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2005, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been sick on my stomach since my trip to St John..I am not sure if it was the water or a bug.If it was the water...how long would it take to feel back to normal again??Has anyone had this happen before??
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 07:18 AM
mm

If you have contracted guardia it could take months depending on the care you received.

If you're feeling the after effects of a stressful vacation ;-) you will probably feel better soon.

mm
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 07:25 AM

After visiting Antigua last year, I contracted E. Coli. After going to the emergency room (in the U.S.) and being placed on antibiotics, it took me about a week before I was able to go back to work, and I wasn't really right for about a month. In your situation, it could be a variety of ailments - you should consider seeing a doctor for a diagnosis. Hope you feel better soon!
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 08:06 AM

If you don't feel better after a week, go to the doctor. It seems like that is the usual duration for minor gastrointestinal distress from water-borne bacteria to resolve.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 02:50 PM

What are your symptoms? Did you eat any local fish?

Ronnie
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 02:51 PM

How long has it been? A while isn't it? My advice is to call your MD asap. Get a professional opinion. good luck. Larry
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Ron.. I had Caribbean lobster that I did not like..maybe it was that.I have recently heard that it is sweet and tender..mine was tough and bitter.

Larry..I am going to call the MD tomorrow.It will be a week that we have been back tomorrow.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 03:19 PM

Christie - hope you feel better soon! I really wonder what it was, I have never heard of anyone getting sick from the water in the USVI, but of course I guess anything is possible. Could have been fish. But you should be feeling better if either of those were the cause, I would think a parasite as someone suggested Giardia (the Dr might give you Flagyl prescription to rule that out) GL I hope you figure it out soon!
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 03:39 PM

Ok Chrisite. Best of luck. Hope you feel better soon.
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 03:29 AM

Any other symptoms besides belly aches? Could be between fish poisoning and dengue fever if you have hot flashes and cold spells? Have diagnosed before and a doctor concurred w/ my diagnosis!Maybe just some food poisoning. Our lobster is never sweet and tender and has no history of carrying toxins.

RL
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 05:13 AM
mm

Okay CHristie,

I've nailed it down. You are pregnant!

Congrats.

;-)

mm
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 05:59 AM

Funny, that's what my doctor friend asked my 'patient' when discussing her symptoms!

RL
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

mm:I hope not or the doctor will be sued being that I have and IUD.Thanks everyone for wishing that I feel better.

RonUSVI..yes I am having hotflashes and very very nauseaed.I am going to call the doctor..I have been so busy this morning.
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 09:50 AM

I didn't realize this thread was you, Christie. Were you drinking water from the faucet at the villa? Someone asked me about cistern water before and although I haven't known anyone to get sick from it, it is rain water running down from the roof and can't be reliable. Only certain fish can be eaten in the Virgin Islands because of the parasite a couple of people have already mentioned. Dengue fever has been detected in the Virgin Islands and that could definitely be it. A visiting friend got really sick towards the end of the vacation and many of his symptoms sound like yours. We never really figured out what it was but he was sick for about a week or so. He says he thought it may have been sun poisoning. Are you feeling any better?
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

tuxedo:I did not drink the water BUT used the water in ice cubes..it probably was not the water.I still do not feel much better.Have been weak and very nauseaed.I did eat a Mahi-Mahi sandwich and lobster while in St John?Thanks for the concern.I am going to have to get my mom to come over after work and go to the doctor.My husband works alot and long hours so he cannot come home.I basically get off the couch to clean a little and check this site (outta curiousity) and my older sons have been helping with the 2 year old.(thank god for them).
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

After reading the Giardia symptoms on the web.It sounds very possible that that is was I have so I am going to the doctor in a little while.It said that it can take weeks to get over.God..I hope not.
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 11:38 AM

Christie, thats why I mentioned it. that is pretty much the first thing Drs think....GL
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 11:38 AM

Doesn't sound like giardiasis to me, but you should get it checked. It takes a while for symptoms to show up because the parasite has to multiply enough to affect you and I would expect different symptoms in addition to nausea.
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

cartera:After I got over the hang over from the trip( I was over it while still there)I felt good.Now I have been home for a week and a few days ago I had the very bad nausea,abdominal pains,fever and loose BMs so we will see.
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 12:24 PM

Oh, I thought you got it right after returning - could be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -