Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   How important is AC in October? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/how-important-is-ac-in-october-543000/)

Leejnd Jul 10th, 2005 09:50 AM

How important is AC in October?

Hi,

I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to stay in St. John or St. Lucia for our vacation on October, and I've bookmarked no less than thirty different villas! So much to weed through.

So here's my latest question: how important is it to have AC in October? I've read a number of posts that say that AC is essential especially in the bedrooms, but these all seem to be referring to vacations in May through July. I have no clue if the weather is much different in October.

If AC is necessary, that will reduce my bookmarked villas by half, which will certainly narrow the field, but then some of my favorite villas don't have AC, so I'm hoping it's not that important.

Thanks!

LeeAnne

RobertoB Jul 10th, 2005 12:31 PM

My opinion towards the subject of AC is that if you need it at home you'll probably need it on St. John or St. Lucia. Having said that, if you find a place that you like on the windward side without AC you probably won't miss it. We stayed high in Coral Bay in late October and didn't feel the for air.

Tuxedocat Jul 10th, 2005 01:02 PM

I would definitely go for airconditioning. We go to St. John in January when the locals cry about how cold it is (around 75 degrees fahrenheit) and we still like our AC. The weather in October will be similar. If the villa has AC in the bedroom, you'll be fine. Most of them have it.

xkenx Jul 10th, 2005 05:39 PM

October is still quite warm. If you're reasonably heat tolerant you'll be fine if the villa has ceiling fans in both bedroom and living area. A ceiling fan is worth nearly 10 degrees, compared to still air. An advantage over a/c is that you can live open air and drink in the nature sounds and smells.

christiegr Jul 10th, 2005 05:50 PM

I found St John to be as hot and humid as my home (NC) October is a questionable month..some days are cooler and some hotter.To be safe I would get a fully AC villa.That way if it is hot...you can enjoy the WHOLE villa not just the bedrooms.:)

christiegr Jul 10th, 2005 05:53 PM

Lee: If you live where the summers get real hot and you still use the AC during Oct...one more reason to get AC in a villa.Trust me..our vacation would have been way better if we would have had AC.Next trip..we definately will. Good luck!

ScottB Jul 11th, 2005 05:46 AM

I agree with others, this is definitely a personal preference, and depends on your heat tolerance.

Myself, I honestly can't imagine going anywhere in the caribbean without having AC. My body simply needs a break from the heat. I also can't sleep at all if I'm hot. I live in the Boston area, and often have a bedroom window carcked open in the middle of winter for some fresh air. AC all the way for us!!