How far in advance do you book?

Apr 3rd, 2003, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

How far in advance do you book?

I am trying to get some sense as to how far ahead you fellow Fodorites book vacations. I am always worried that my circumstances are going to change if I book too far in advance. On the other hand, many popular places sell out. What do you do?
Apr 3rd, 2003, 01:51 PM

I usually book 11 months in advance mostly because I have to take my vacation when my company tells me to and it always two weeks over July and August and one week over Christmas/New Year's so I have no choice and I plan accordingly.
Apr 3rd, 2003, 04:58 PM

It depends on when you go. I assume you are talking about the carribean (I think europe is a different story). I booked my trip to the Cayman Islands last June and we left in mid August.

I also did the same for St. Martin (booked June, visited in Aug) and never had any problems.

I think there is more flexibility in the carribean.
Apr 3rd, 2003, 07:30 PM

I am a huge planner in life, but I don't usually book vacations until last minute!
Example being: I booked my flights to Jamaica on March 29, and am going on April 8th. I know that this is probably not how most people like to do it, but I'm just trying to give you an indication that you might not need to book a year in advance. As well, I was able to get a room at the Rock House Hotel (my first choice), but found that many of the All Inclusives and smaller hotels still had lots of availablity. I got a good rate on my flight and hotel (which I just booked today - less than a week before arrival). It could be a slower time right now, but nonetheless, it's all very last minute!
Apr 4th, 2003, 06:01 AM

I've found that booking too far ahead especially during off-season does not yield the best rates. I normally book my hotel and air separately.
Apr 4th, 2003, 07:36 AM

I plan about 9 months in advance when I'm travelling during the high season. Many places don't take reservations a year ahead, or I would make the reservations that far in advance. I agree with Andrea and say that with booking off-season rates, you're usually better off to wait until the last minute.
Apr 4th, 2003, 11:15 AM

My husband and I usually book about 5 months ahead of time. If you are worried that you may not be able to travel when that time rolls around, what about taking out travel insurance? When my father-in-law was still alive, they gave him four months to live. He lived for almost five more years. We worried about leaving and then having to return home as soon as we got to wherever. Luckily, it never happened. I think many hotels are pretty much working at 65% capacity this year, so I think you have more flexibility in your choice of hotel. Room choice may be a different story.