How do you get to St. John and what is the cost?

Old Dec 21st, 2001, 10:24 AM
clueless

How do you get to St. John and what is the cost?

When I tried to get an airfare to St. John from NY on travelocity nothing came up. Is there no airport there? How does one get there, fly into St. Thomas and then what? Pardon my ignorance but I'm looking for the least expensive way to get to St. John from NY for a family of 4. Thank you.

Old Dec 21st, 2001, 10:38 AM
Ricky

There's no airport on STJ -- usual route is to fly to St. Thomas, and then ferry over to STJ.<BR><BR>Many airlines (American, Continental) may offer direct service from NYC to STT. It's a good time to buy now as there is a decent fare sale these days...<BR><BR>Hope this helps,<BR><BR>-Ricky<BR><BR>

Old Dec 21st, 2001, 10:48 AM
clueless

Thanks Ricky but how do you get from the airport to the ferry? I assume you take a taxi, (how far and how much) and then ferry (again, any idea of the cost?)

Old Dec 21st, 2001, 10:58 AM
JESSE

This will help:http://www.stjohnusvi.com/ferry.html<BR>You may want to rent a car, it will save you money in the long run. Its 27r/t from Red Hook to Cruz Bay. This way you wont have toi taxi everywhere when you explore St. John.

Old Dec 21st, 2001, 04:58 PM
Karen

You fly out of the NYC airports with a direct flight (there are a couple) or with a stop in San Juan on to St. Thomas. Once on St. Thomas the dispatcher assigns you to a multipax taxi (van) for transport either to Charlotte Amalie or Red Hook depending upon which ferry is the next to leave. The taxi fare to Red Hook is probably around $9 pp if you have more than one pax in your group and around $4 - 5 to Charlotte Amalie. The ferry from CA to Cruz Bay is $7 pp, takes about 45 minutes and from Red Hook it's 15 minutes and $3. Once on St. John, you again are assigned a multidestination van to your destination. Fares vary. You might want to consider renting a car upon arrival on STT, depending on the time of your arrival and using the car ferry over to St. John but there are disadvantages and advantanges. Fares vary greatly depending on the day of the week and the flight times and of course when you want to go. I've found by calling AA directly, I've gotten better bargains that any of the web sites so it just depends and is worth a try! If you are staying at either the Westin or Caneel, they do have their own private transportation from the airport for their guests directly to their respective docks.

Old Dec 23rd, 2001, 05:18 AM
clueless

Thanks Karen! That's exactly the info I was looking for!

Old Dec 31st, 2001, 08:16 AM
mary

we usually take the taxi to red hook<BR>that way you get a little tour of st thomas on the way<BR><BR>we like the more primitive type of vacation so that little tour of st thomas is all we can take<BR><BR>to each their own <BR>hope you have a good time