Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   How do afford to go these places? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/how-do-afford-to-go-these-places-74085/)

Sandra May 30th, 2000 10:38 AM

How do afford to go these places?

I find this board so helpful and I enjoy reading other people's trip resorts. But I wonder is it that so many of you can afford to go to some of the Resorts. Some of them are super expensive (Galley Bay, Ladera, Anse Chastenet, Beaches, Biras Creek, Peter Island, Pink Sands). How can the average person like me find ways to stay at these places.

Julie May 30th, 2000 10:57 AM

Try going off-season. A lot of resorts offer substantial discounts during the summer.

rick May 30th, 2000 11:35 AM

A couple of tricks that we use are frequent flyer miles and shoulder season trips. We have the American Airlines Citibank Visa card and earn 1 mile for every $1 spent on the card. It doesnt sound like alot but believe me with my wife's business trips on there and her company reimbursing her for them we earn the free miles every month. I even put my college tuition and my wifes on there and just paid the montly bill off and earned miles that way. I just took my 4th free airline trip a couple of weeks ago to Tortola. I have been a member since 1992 and pay $50 per year for it. I have flown to Aruba, Cayman, Tortola and the big one last year was Australia which in itself was a savings of at least $1,500 per person. Another trick is to fly just after peak season is over or begins to avoid the increase in hotel rates. The last thing I can say, you work hard everyday and you certainly cant your money with you when you die, we just happen to enjoy traveling. <BR>

lisa May 30th, 2000 11:42 AM

I agree that these places are much more affordable during the off-season -- we went in November when it was still low-season prices but weather was good. Also, the expense depends on what kind of room you get -- if you are willing to take the least expensive room category there are deals to be had. The rack rate for the least expensive room at Ladera was about $200 per night but that included a great breakfast, and the room was wonderful. Granted it's not cheap, but at $100 per person per night it was a great value for the money in our opinion (we did not pay the rack rate because we got a package deal). Look into packages that include airfare and hotel and maybe some extras. I don't know where you live, but American Airlines and Air Jamaica both offer air & hotel packages to St. Lucia out of the Washington DC area. The Sunday Travel section of the Washington Post has lots of ads for packages to various places, and I know the New York Times Sunday Travel section does too. Maybe your local paper does as well. Also, call a few travel agents in your area and tell them what you want and ask them to call back with a quote for the best deal, then compare prices the agents quote you. We got our package through a travel agent who beat package prices quoted in the newspaper.

Kimberly Haimsohn May 30th, 2000 11:53 AM

If you've used American miles to fly for free in the past while, you should call them and ask for an American Hotel Certificate (say you didn't receive one the last time you redeemed miles for a ticket) This certificate allows you to get one night free for every paid night. so, if you go for six nights, you only have to pay for three (I'm only paying $600 for my entire stay in grand cayman) The ceritificate is supposed to be good at all major hotel chains: hyatt, hilton, wyndham, westin, sheraton--but I've noticed that the only chain that seems to have availability using the coupon is hyatt. It is much cheaper to go during the off-season: about $200-$300 a night (then, divide this by two) as opposed to $400-$600 a night (divided by two) <BR>

rick May 30th, 2000 12:18 PM

Yes, that is exactly what we did in Australia. We stayed in the Intercontinental in Sydney and Sheraton Mirage in Pt Douglas

Karen May 30th, 2000 04:16 PM

Highly recommend the Airline credit card ... I exclusively use the AA/MC for every, and I mean every, purchase! Those mount up quickly! Of course, putting every business expense on it helps too! That's how we do the "high end" places ... still fits the budget since airfare is "free." Also when you are older often times you do not have the mortgage, the kids' tuition and car payments and all those things to contend with ... but that is just being patient 'til you get there (and you can qualify for great prices as a senior - 10% off all fares and the senior programs - coupon book or "club"). We also had a "vacation fund," like a Christmas Club at the bank, and so much went into the kitty every single week no matter what! We make plans months in advance to get the "cheapest" fare or to use the miles ... it's been a couple of years since we paid for a flight or always upgrade when we do with miles! Sometimes you can get great last minute deals with wholesalers who have "left overs" too! I waited a long time to be able to do those things! And keep hoping I win the lottery so I can do it a whole lot more!!!

dmotl May 30th, 2000 05:59 PM

We found we could not afford these places either. So we go to Isla Mujeres which is a small Island in the Carribean off Cancun. Reasonable prices and great beaches. We have a 15 page travel document on the Island which we will e-mail if you request. We stay for one month and spend little more than we did for 7 days on some other islands. dan& ginny

sheila May 30th, 2000 07:46 PM

Hi Sandra! I'll have to say, we stayed at Ladera and it was a real stretch for us. I look at this way, we can spend $1500 every year to go the "shore" with the kids why not spend another $1500 and remember why I married my husband in the first place. The new septic can wait, as well as the paved driveway and that extra bathroom. Life is too short, I scrimped and saved and added some nagging in there too. He was so glad I did! Go for it!

Lee May 31st, 2000 04:08 AM

Sandra: It looks like you got some good responses. We tend to not use our frequent flyer miles on Caribbean destinations though, saving them for Europe instead. I earn about 100,000 miles per year traveling on business and that's two tickets. <BR> <BR>We have sort of a plan. We have signed up for US Airways "E-Savers" which post by email the latest specials. You have to be flexible because you may only have a week's notice. We went to Paris in '98 for five days for $175.00 R/T. We also watch for specials on packages. For instance, we went to Nassau for four days two weeks ago for $440.00 for air and hotel (P/P). Not bad. We knew a month in advance on that one. If we plan ahead (like next year for example), we can use the frequent flyer miles instead of an E-Saver. <BR> <BR>We are not very extravagant during the year, taking our lunch to work and not eating at expensive restaurants. You'd be surprised at how much you can save. We don't hit the big dollar places, but we do get to go on trips.

Paula Jun 28th, 2000 03:19 PM

We have gotten some really good bargains by shopping around...Vacation Outlet, TNT, GWV and Expedia (on-line). If you are flexible on your dates, and can travel when a bragainis advertised - sometimes there is plenty of planning time, even though it is a bargain. Bargain travel does not necessarily need to mean "last minute", though that is a ggod way ot get deals as well. We've used the Vacation Outlet to book trips to Jamaica (2ce), Nassau, and the Dominican Republic...and Cancun for our family of 5!!! We aren't overly wealthy, when we decide we want to travel, we save and shop for bargains!

Louis Jun 28th, 2000 07:01 PM

The answer is simple. A large number of people cannot afford to go to many of the places you mention. However, if you or anybody else indicated where they were located as a starting point, what they really wanted in the way of a trip, and what they really could afford to spend for everything, you will be surprised how many people on this forum can give you constructive suggestions. Or in the other case indicate what you cannot get within your budget but they might indicate what you might find if you reduced your standards slightly. Over the years we have stayed in the Caribbean in the range of 4 to one in costs and I think it still can be done today if the bottom lind cost is in your reach. There is a nice B&B in Old San Juan in Puerto Rico for around $45/night. The Posadas in Puerto Rico are not expensive. Culebra and Isla Muerjes are not expensive islands. The Yucatan coast of Mexico is not expensive. I just got quoted a round trip fare from San Juan to Barbados for $171 which is very reasonable. You do have to be a little creative. Anegada in the BVI is not expensive or is Cooper Island. There is a nice B&B on Harbor Island that is under $100/night. If you are looking for $35/night this is not easily possible. A reasonable budget is around $200/night for two including meals. However there is camping which is more reasonable. The question is do you want a Caribbean experience or do you want to live as the rich and famous <BR>or the people that stretch their credit card debt to the limit? The latter is expensive and in many cases if the destination is more laid back and a little more basic it can be even more expensive.

brenda Jul 30th, 2000 04:58 PM

Sandra: <BR>I by no means am rich but have found a way to go to the carribean two to three times a year for quite awhile. I look for deals and decide when I find one... I would sell my first born to go(not really I think). Life is full of things that you have to choose, I give up little things and they add up, no cable, newspapers, quick foods, and on and on... Is it worth it you bet.. Those weeks help make my life better, my mind less stressed, my marriage wonderful ...But really watch your pennies and the dollars take care of themself. I also fly out of canada being near the border which is a great saving. We went to sandals in negril in dec. for around $1500. for two. <BR>Any questions e-mail.

KIM(IN) Jul 30th, 2000 05:40 PM

I have to add to this responce, I was married for 23 yr and two adult children grown before we were able to go to these places. We plan on going somewhere in the Islands at least every yr or at least every other. Next yr I will take my grandchild on the Disney cruise. <BR>Have been to Sandals in the Bahamas and Sandals Negril in Jamaica am going back to Sandals Negril in Feb for our 25th ann to renew our wedding vows.

Sherri Jul 30th, 2000 06:21 PM

Louis, <BR> Could you please share the name and <BR>location of the bed and breakfast in <BR>San Juan that you speak of for 45.00?? <BR> You obviously have stayed there, could <BR>you tell me a bit about it please? <BR>Sherri

aaron Aug 11th, 2000 08:37 PM

Great question! I'm just getting started, but here is how I see it. I don't smoke, so that's 1800 dollars a year. I'm happily married, so I don't go to the mall to make myself feel better. Finally, I make the choice to do it. I'm going to Cozumel with my wife for 1600 a couple for four nights at an all inclusive. My friends don't see how I can afford it, but they just bought a $3000 desk on a high interest credit card. Pay off your high interest debts! Make the decision. And go somewhere cheap like Cancun.

Kimberly Aug 12th, 2000 09:16 AM

My husband and I love to travel. He has already posted a reply (his name is Aaron.) I have something to add. We try to live below our means. We bought a house that was much cheaper than wheat we could have had. We have one new car and one old car. We keep everything until it cannot be used anymore. When we buy new stuff we spend a lot on it, but we get the best quality we can find so it will last forever. We shop at sales for everything. I buy summer clothes in Winter and Winter clothes in summer. Travel is our first priority. We do live a nice lifestyle but as I said before we live beneath our means. <BR> <BR>Kimberly

Karen Aug 12th, 2000 06:29 PM

Hi Sandra: We just got back from a summer vacation with our kids. We passed a bill board that said..Life is full of choices, chose wisely. Going on vacation is one of those choices. Karen

xxxx Feb 8th, 2001 02:18 PM

I am one of those folks who is spoiled and has to stay in the lap of luxury! We've done cheaper deals and just didn't even enjoy ourselves. We could have had mre fun and saved money by walking to the beach by us on Lake michigan! That being said, i am not rich though. We tend to take one really nice vacation every three years (about $6000 for two for a week!) We save money in those off years and take quick local weekend getaways and just visit family. Granted we could go to the carribean every year if we went to less expensive resorts but we like the luxury concierge suites at sandals, Peter Island (private island resort) and deluxe suites at Grand Lido. You just have to make choices.

Rich Feb 8th, 2001 02:37 PM

It appears the bottom line for us all is priorities. And those who establish travel as a priority figure out ways of making it happen. We too are not rich by any means. One of our priorities was having a large family, which we built by way of adoption...which is not cheap. Still have 7 teenagers at home. But we're also getting ready to make another trip to Jamaica in the spring. Just putting $50 a month away can add up to a real nice trip every 4-5 years. Increase the amount and go more often. <BR>My sister-in-law was complaining they couldn't afford traveling. We helped her realize she was spending $300 a month on fast food. She needed to realize what her priority was.