Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

How bad is the beach at the Ritz Carlton in Jamaica?

Dec 28th, 2002, 05:55 PM
Debbie

Everyone mentions it in their comments about the hotel. I know it's small, but is it so terrible that we would be unhappy? Has anoyone gone to the Rose Hall beach (i believe that is the name of the beach that RC has a shuttle to )? Is that a pain? I'd really rather not have to take a shuttle to a beach. thanks for any info.

Dec 29th, 2002, 02:37 PM
xxx

We were there Thanksgiving, and last Jan. Did beach club first trip, really saw no need last trip. As holiday week, somwhat crowded, not so as crowds left. The beach is okay, just a little difficult exiting water because of shells. If you want some privacy, there are many options up and down the waterfront.

Dec 30th, 2002, 04:56 AM
jam-man

Debbie,

We were there the week before Thanksgiving. Not at all crowded. The beach is adequate. RC keeps the land side very clean and rakes away seaweed and picks up trash daily. There are lots of lounge chairs with pillows and umbrellas, so sitting by the beach is no problem. Lots of floats, too.
Beverage and food service is quick and efficient. Raise the small flag attached to the chair and someone pops over to take your order.
Entry and exit from the water is the only problem area. There is a 4 or 5 foot band just at the waters edge where shells and small pieces of coral swirl around with the wave action. Once over that little stretch and the bottom is sand and easy for walking. Waves are smallish because of the breakwaters RC has constructed. Not a terrible beach, just not a great one, like Doctors Cave in MoBay, or the beach at Jamaica Inn, or Loquillo Beach on Puerto Rico.
Didn't see the need to shuttle to Rose Hall for the Beach Club there, so can't comment.

Dec 30th, 2002, 05:27 AM
Debbie

Thanks Jam-Man. I have read your trip report which was great. I found it very helpful. I am worried about the enterance to the water for my 3 year old. Not that she really goes in the water. Just up to the edge to fill a bucket. I know you love Jamaica Inn, but that would be for a trip we take without her, This trip is a family trip. Do you think we would be better off at Half Moon? I have not seen you comment on that resort. Have you been there?

Dec 30th, 2002, 07:24 AM
jam-man

Debbie,
The kids at the Ritz were in and out of the water with no problem. And the toddlers played at the waters edge continuously with lots of bucket and shovel activity. It's very nice sand to the water's edge, and maybe a foot or three beyond before the shells, rocks and coral bits get involved. The beach is maybe 300-350 feet from end to end (help me out here other RC experienced Fodorites, my estimate might not be accurate) so beach access and playing around at the water's edge was not crowded.
The one kid problem I noted about RC was that there is no kid's pool, just the main pool. That means close supervision of any kids that head to the pool.
Was at Half Moon once, 12 years ago, and then only on business. Did not have any beach time, so can't answer about that aspect. Remember I liked the room, but that's not very helpful for this deiscussion. I think you'll have to get Half Moon feedback from others.

Dec 30th, 2002, 08:53 AM
Debbie

Thanks again Jam-Man. I will make a decision soon. Please excuse my spelling mistakes and any typos. (I have to be quick before the 3 year old gets on the computer.) I have posted before with my HM/RC question. I have had great responses, yet I am still undecided. I am giving myself 2 more days. Thanks to all who responded.