Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   How Bad is Crime Directed at Tourist on St. Thomas? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/how-bad-is-crime-directed-at-tourist-on-st-thomas-317802/)

LuvCaribbean May 16th, 2003 06:15 PM

How Bad is Crime Directed at Tourist on St. Thomas?

Hi there!

We are looking at renting a villa on STT (Peterborg area) with another couple.

I have read SO many conflicting reports as to how bad the crime really is on STT.

I know there is violent crime, but I am wondering how much of it is directed at tourists.

Also, do you think some of these reports might be written according to where visitors come from? I am from New York City, so other people's ideas of what a lot of crime may seem like the average to me.

Tourists are a target wherever we go, so I am wondering how much worse it is in STT compared to other large tourist destinations...

We found a villa we really have our hearts set on, but I am dismayed by some of the things I read.

Should I be taking this all with a grain of salt?

I am not scared no matter where I go in NYC, and I have been in many of the "bad" areas, many, many times. My neighborhood is considered a high crime area, and nothing has ever happened to me, thank God. I pretty much feel comfortable wherever I go, but I don't walk around with blinders on either.

A friend of mine was raped in the Bahamas a few years ago, but she is the first one to point out this can happen anywhere.

I am starting to get the feeling that so many of the posting I read about how much crime there is in St. Thomas may be overblown - also, is anyone taking into account that much of the crime is probably done by locals to locals?

Thanks for any input and advice...

Mermaid May 16th, 2003 06:51 PM

I vacation on St Thomas and St John every year. Stayed in resorts and private villas on both islands. I've NEVER had a bad or remotely frightening experience on either island.
St Thomas does indeed have a crime problem, so does NY where I live too. However in the USVI, the vast majority of the crime is drug related,or domestic violence related and is local on local.
I would encourage you to go to STT, rent your villa and enjoy yourself! Peterborg is a lovely area and you will adore St Thomas!

travleis May 16th, 2003 06:54 PM

It's all relative. If you're from a major US city and you have even a little bit of street savvy, you'll be fine in places like STT.

I think one major reason places like STT receive a lot of criticism is that when people go on tropical type vacations they're usually going to relax, so even the prospect of crime can really put a bit of a damper on some people's mood. Because there are many tropical destinations which are perfect for completely destressing without concern about crime and safety, places which can't provide that piece of the puzzle are criticized for this shortcoming.

On the other hand, when going on a city vacation which involves a lot more activity and such, the threat of crime is often considered an intrinsic part of the tradeoff for being in the city. And relatively few large cities offer a wide array of attractions without at least some threat of crime.

Knowing May 18th, 2003 10:45 AM

We were in STT in February. I, too, had heard so many scary things about crime there and then talked to some locals after arriving who made me even more fearful. Consequently, we spent a little more time at the pool swimming, eating snacks and drinking then we have done on other islands. Thankfully, because it is so beauitful there I forced myself to still get around and made arrangements with a taxi driver that we got to know and like. After returning, many locals on other sites made me realize that most of my fears had been unfounded. The big crime seems to be domestic violence. So, go and enjoy and just be smart like you are at home.

DeborahB May 19th, 2003 05:17 AM

We've been going every year for 3 years now and have never had a problem or once felt unsafe. Most crime is local on local as others have mentioned. Use common sense as you would with any other vacation spot. Do not be afraid to speak to locals. You'll find a simple good morning/afternoon does wanders. You'll find most people to be very friendly.

Schultz May 20th, 2003 09:11 AM

Hi There,

This next trip will be number 13 (or maybe 14) to St. Thomas in the past seventeen years. I rent a car and literally drive from one end of the island to the other during every visit. I have never had a problem with "crime" on the island. But I've spent a lot of time in major US cities and use common sense when I travel. Can't think of any reason why I wouldn't head to STT again.

Schultz

liza May 20th, 2003 10:06 AM

I don't know if wages in St. Thomas permit every villa to have a security guard, but that helps a lot, at least in your mind. Most every villa I've stayed at in Jamaica has one, at least at night (as well as a cook, maid and gardener, at least). Wages are very low in JA though and this is not a huge expense for the villa owner.

Why not ask whoever you're renting from what kind of security arrangements they have in place?

tapper May 20th, 2003 04:21 PM

Do not send anything of value through the St. Thomas post office.