Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

How are the natives of cayman and is there any place to visit to see some history of the island?

Search

How are the natives of cayman and is there any place to visit to see some history of the island?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 08:51 AM
theresa

We love snorkeling and kayaking so the beach is ideal for this. But my one daughter loves to mingle with the natives purchase food that they catch or grow in their local markets. Is this possible here? thanks,Theresa

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 09:08 AM
Sandy

Theresa,<BR>The Caymanian people are some of the nicest people I've ever met. Very friendly and helpful, and they truly enjoy you visiting their island and interacting with them. There's a place in Georgetown where you can purchase fresh fish that they catch. There's also one on the east end of the island. During lobster season we have bought lobster right from the boats as they pull in, and it was very inexpensive!<BR>Sandy

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 09:17 AM
xxx

Ask your hotel concierge or condo manager to recommend a taxi driver who will give you a guided tour of the island. There are several with very comfortable vans and extensive knowledge of the island and its history. A very pleasant way to spend a rainy day or if you want a break from the sun.<BR><BR>There are also the Cayman Islands National Museum in George Town, the Old Homestead ("the pink cottage") on West Bay Rd., National Trust historic walking tours of central George Town and West Bay, and the Pedro St. James Restoration site for self-guided visits.<BR><BR>This answers the header of your post, but not really the body, as Sandy has done that.

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 12:35 PM
Ted

For history, visit Pedro's Castle on the road heading east out of Georgetown. Great spot!<BR>

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 12:35 PM
juli

Theresa:<BR><BR>You will experience some of the kindest, nicest, friendliest and happy people anywhere in Cayman. I ranked that as one of my high points of my trip. I know they rely heavily on tourism but everyone we met from cab drivers, to wait staff, shop keepers, to locals we met out dancing where amazing. Being from the NY metro area its so surprising when strangers say hello and chat with you but by the end of day 1 I was talking to everyone who crossed my path. It made me feel good to get to overuse good manners and not be afraid to be friendly to everyone.