Search

Hotels in St. Barth's

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2004, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels in St. Barth's

My husband and I are going to St. Barth's for the first time for a week in July and we're torn between two hotels in St. Jean: Tom Beach Hotel & Village St. Jean. Anyone familiar with these and any tips for picking the right place? Thanks
Old May 27th, 2004, 08:43 AM
RAB

Have stayed at Village St. Jean several times, latest 3 or 4 years ago and will be back this June. The cottages are nice, with a small external kitchen on the deck, and management is friendly and helpful. It is about a 5 minute walk to the beach, but a hike up the hill coming back - not a problem for us, as we drive, but could be a negative for some. It is a good value but low key.
Old May 27th, 2004, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

thanks for responding and the info. I read some other reviews on-line by users that raved a lot more about St. Jean. Did you find the decor nice? Or did the place seem kind of run down? Also, we thought staying there might be better b/c the terrace view of the bay would be nice at night vs. being right on the beach. If you catch this please answer back! thanks again
Old May 28th, 2004, 04:18 AM

bOf the two I'd probably pick Tom Beach we found VSJ a little inconvenient and the decorating from the early 80's dark-and the restaurant overpriced and substandard. Right now, however, there is construction going on next door to TB so I'd check.
Having said all that it's best in the summer esp to be up high with a little breeze since the ocean is calmer. St. Jean is well located but buzy and the loudest part of this pretty Island.
You may consider a private villa in a better location for about the same price.
Old May 28th, 2004, 08:32 AM
RAB

I honestly don't remember much about the decor. The room was comfortable and clean, which is about all I pay attention to. Also, that was 4 years ago. It was not run down then. Depending which cottage you are in, the view can be pleasant, but sunset is behind the hill so the evening just gets dark - no sunset. We have eaten in the restaurant and it was quite good at that time, but as we get our own breakfasts and eat around at dinner, that is also not a great concern for us.