Hotels in San Juan

Jul 9th, 2003, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Hotels in San Juan

My husband and I are trying to decide between the Inter-Continental, San Juan Marriott Resort and the Wyndam El San Juan. Here's what's important to us: adult oriented, beautiful atmostphere, pool and rooms and a nice beach. Can anyone share experiences at any of these places to help us decide where to stay?

Thanks!
Jul 10th, 2003, 06:27 AM

I'm interested in the San Juan Marriott as well so I thought I would top this question. Thanks in advance for any input.
Jul 10th, 2003, 02:42 PM

Been to both Inter-Con and Wyndham El San Juan. Both are equally good, however, the Wyndham El San Juan is gorgeous. Not just beautiful, but ornately and architecturally gorgeous from an interior perspective (forget the exterior). The Inter-Con has much better service, very friendly staff but a hell of a lot of kids (at the time we went - it was Memorial Day Weekend). El San Juan didn't seem to have that many kids, seemed more adults (at the time we went). Both pools are equally good, but I go there for the beach so didn't notice the pool that much. Hope this helped.
Jul 10th, 2003, 04:35 PM

Since no one is responding I can only say that I did see, and stay at the Beach in front of the Marriott. We stayed in a small hotel down the street. It is in an excellent location, the beach I can tell you is rough waters. My kids rented boogy boards and had a great time. Many waves, which is fine if that is what you want. Also the Marrott is located in a place where the sun is behind it for several hours in the p.m. On a personal note although I have not been there, I would choose the Wyndham El San Juan.
Jul 11th, 2003, 06:10 AM

Given your criteria, any of the three are good choices. I've stayed at all three. The El San Juan is the most luxurious of the three. Intercon and ESJ are next to each other and share the same beach. ESJ has two pools - one olympic size and one free form. The grounds are beautiful. Rooms are nicely appointed but on the small side (esp. the bathroom). Some have balconies, some do not. You should try to get pool, ocean views as opposed to the airport side. Intercon has one free form pool and very nice grounds also. Rooms are okay - balconies are very small (you can't really sit out, just stand). The beach that they share is pretty large and is a good walking beach. It is a developed area, so the beach is lined with hotels and condos. It won't be very crowded during the week but does get crowded during the weekend. It is a public beach so you will see a lot of families. I actually like that as it makes for good people watching. But if you want seclusion, this probably isnt the best choice for you.

The Marriott is located about a 10 minute cab ride away in Condado. Also very nice hotel. Rooms are a decent size and nicely appointed. One pool, nice grounds. The only thing about the pool that bugged me was that it only was 3 or 4 feet deep at its deepest. Nice beach front. Beach tends to be rougher than at the ESJ and Intercon.

In the end, I prefer the Isla Verde area, where the ESJ and Intercon are located to Condado - mainly for the beach and because it has my 2 favorite hotels (ESJ and Ritz Carlton, which you may also want to consider). Much of the dining is Isla Verde is hotel based. ESJ itself has 6 restaurants. In Condado, there are more non-hotel choices available.

Jul 17th, 2003, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help! I feel more confident that any of these will be OK.