Notices

Hotels ideal for exploring Cuba

Jul 12th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Hotels ideal for exploring Cuba

I am female in my early 20s and am looking for a vacation destination to go to in late August. I like the idea of going some place warm but HATE all-inclusives. I don't want to fall into the trap of binge eating everyday while not venturing outside the hotel grounds and experiencing true local cuisine.

I would like some time to spend by the beach (preferably windsurfing and trying other water sports) but would like to spend the rest exploring the city. I thought Cuba would be a great (safe) place for this because I would love to walk through the city and experience the culture.

Can anyone recommend hotels in Cuba that are preferably not all-inclusive, are on the beach (or close to it) and are located close to other sites?

Thanks!
Jul 13th, 2010, 01:28 AM

Not sure which city if being referred to - I can only speak about Havana and Varadero. In Havana you don't go AI but Varadero I can't see how you would not go AI. The food is not the highlight in the AI hotels but it would be difficult to find 3 meals a day if you did not have it as Varadero is a long strip with hotels and not much outside.

There are beaches outside Havana but I don't think there are any hotels, Jibacoa is about an hour outside of Havana where Breezes is located which is AI.
Jul 14th, 2010, 06:29 AM

How about Cartagena Colombia? The beaches aren't great, but there are dozens of small hotel properties and a truly awesome city for exploring.

Although we didn't go, I understand the Rosario Islands are pretty, easy day trip from the city.

Search this Thread